Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Author Spotlight ~ Carys Jones


If you want to be interviewed for a Author Spotlight, please go here. I'll send you a series of questions as soon as I can.

I also do a spotlight for bloggers! If you would like to be interviewed for Blogger Spotlight, you may fill out this form as well.

********************************************************

Today, I am featuring Carys Jones, author of Sunkissed

About Sunkissed:


Goodreads Description:
Dawn Summers is dying. It’s 1853 and as the seventeen year old continues to fade away she has visions of the father she never knew, urging her to fight for her life.

In the small village of Fandova the only medical care is in the form of the mysterious Dr. Moralus who has a known penchant for bloodletting. Thomas, Dawn's fiancé, is warned against inviting his intervention, but feels he has no choice, he pleads with the doctor to save Dawn’s life…whatever it takes.

Whatever it ‘takes’ has some consequences neither of them expected. Now, it’s a hunt to the death, with both Dawn and Thomas determined to win. 
Carys Jones was born in Shropshire, England. She displayed a passion for writing from a young age, spending her time creating short stories and poems. Carys later went on to study Creative Writing at University level. Her first book, Not All Stars Sparkle, was released in October 2010 and was a finalist for The People's Book Prize 2013.

Her second novel, Sunkissed, was released in Autumn 2013.

For more information about Carys please visit www.carys-jones.com
  

Hi Carys! Thank you for letting me interview you here at Reading is My Treasure. First, can you tell me what inspired you to write your YA novel, Sunkissed?

I’ve always been a huge fan of the vampire genre, loving shows like The Vampire Diaries and True Blood so I wanted to write my own version of the myth, incorporating all the iconic elements that I love whilst making the story unique.

Why write YA fiction?

I adore YA fiction. It captures a time in someone’s life when all emotions seem so powerful; like a first love or first kiss. And YA readers are amazing; they are hungry for new, exciting stories and are passionate about them. YA fiction gives authors the freedom to really express themselves and be as imaginative as possible!


Why did you choose to write a book set in the past instead of one set in present day?

Sunkissed starts in the past but the second part of the book is set in modern day NYC. With setting the book in the past, it works to set the scene for the central characters of Dawn and Thomas. I needed to develop their history, where they came from and why they ended up where they were in the modern world. It was fun to explore what being a vampire would have meant a hundred and fifty years ago compared to what it would mean now.

Do you prefer writing in third or first person? Why?

Definitely in third person which is unusual for YA stories. But with writing in third person it allows me to give readers an insight in to a variety of characters and hopefully enrich the story. I’ve never written a story in first person it just doesn’t really work for me as a writer. We all find our strongest suits and mine is definitely writing in third person.

What are your writing habits like?

When I’m working on a story I’m really strict with myself. I will lock myself away in my pink themed study and will not come out until I’ve hit my word target; it’s a good way to keep up to speed and also banishes any potential for writer’s block. I enjoy getting lost in my writing but it can then be strange to pull my head out of it and come back to the real world and go walk my dog.

Other than writing, what do you like to do?

I’m a bit of a nerd at heart. I love playing games on my PS3 and watching sci-fi films but I also love being with my dog, Rollo, catching up with friends and baking.

A Game of This or That

Day or night?
Day, night is for sleeping, I love sleeping! I try to be as productive as I can be during the day.


Dark or milk chocolate?

Can I go with white chocolate? It’s easily my favourite!

TV or movies?

Probably movies though I do love TV shows too! Movies just tend to have more impact whereas a TV show can draw the drama out over a series.

Music or silence while writing?

Total silence, I need to concentrate on what is going on in my head. Music only distracts me sadly as it would be nice to listen to something whilst working!


Hot or cold weather?

The colder the better! I love snuggling up by the fire under a blanket! 

Indoors or outdoors?

Indoors as I love my creature comforts. I’ve never been camping or anything like that.

Thank you for answering my questions, Carys!

Thank you so much for having me : )



********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.