Friday, January 3, 2014

Author Spotlight ~ T.B. Markinson


If you want to be interviewed for a Author Spotlight, please go here. I'll send you a series of questions as soon as I can.

I also do a spotlight for bloggers! If you would like to be interviewed for Blogger Spotlight, you may fill out this form as well.

********************************************************

Today, I am featuring T.B. Markinson, author of Marionette

About Marionette:

Goodreads Description:
Paige Alexander is seventeen and has her whole life in front of her. One day her girlfriend comes home to discover that Paige has slit her wrists. Paige isn't insane, but she acts like she is. Why?

After the incident, Paige agrees to go to therapy to appease her girlfriend, Jess. However, Paige doesn't believe that therapy will help her. She believes she’s beyond help. Paige doesn't want to find herself and she doesn't want to relive her painful past in order to come to terms with it. What Paige wants is control over her life, which she hasn't had since her birth.

During her childhood, Paige is blamed for a family tragedy, when in fact, her twin sister, Abbie was responsible. Abbie doesn't come forward and Paige becomes the pariah of the family.

To add to Paige’s woes, while attending a college in a small town in Colorado, the residents are in the midst of debating whether or not gays and lesbians should have equal rights. Tension is high and there’s a threat of violence. She isn't out of the closet and pretends to be straight at school since she fears what will happen if her parents find out she’s a lesbian. Will she end up dead like her best friend, Alex?
(Goodreads profile)

T. B. Markinson is a 39-year old American writer, living in England, who pledged she would publish before she was 35. Better late than never. When she isn't writing, she’s traveling around the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in England, or taking the dog for a walk. Not necessarily in that order. She has published two novels: A WOMAN LOST and MARIONETTE.

Hi TB! First of all, what was the last book you read?

Hello! Thanks so much for having me stop by today. The last book I read was Emma by Jane Austen. One of my projects this year was to read all of her novels. Now I only have one left, Persuasion.


Use one sentence to sum up Marionette.

A young woman struggling to comes to term with her past and sexuality.

What is the significance behind the title and cover for your book?

The main character, Paige, feels like she’s been controlled and manipulated all of her life by her parents—like a puppet on a string.

What inspired you to write Paige's story?

I wanted to write a story about a young woman who is dealing with a lot: she’s tried to kill herself and is hiding the fact that she’s a lesbian from her family and college roommates. But I didn’t want Paige to be weak. I wanted to write about a strong female character with a vulnerable side.

Why write contemporary?

I had the story take place in 1992 since that was the year I was a freshman in college and I could relate to the time period and to my characters.

What is one of the biggest reasons why young readers (and others) should read contemporary?

Contemporary fiction is pretty accessible since readers have a basic understanding about the time period and can relate to some of the events and situations described. However, I think readers, young and old, should read all different types of genres.

Favorites round!
Beverage: I’m addicted to tea
Color: Purple
Book: The Grapes of Wrath
Author: John Steinbeck
Zoo animal: Spider Monkey
Time of the day: Sunset

Thank you for answering my questions, TB! I'm looking forward to reading Marionette.
********************************************************

1 comment:

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.