Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Blog Tour: Review ~ If I Speak True by Jessica L. Brooks


Welcome to the If I Speak True blog tour!

If I Speak True
Series: Flora #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 455
Publication date: January 27st, 2014
Add to Goodreads

Description: 
Dahlia Kennedy's sixteenth birthday marks a decade of mysterious dahlias arriving and strange, lonely dreams of being in a forest. The only difference this birthday, however, is that for the first time, someone is there with her. And he's practically from a whole other era. The more often Dahlia visits Rowan in his land of Ambrosia, the stronger their connection grows. But... is Ambrosia real? Is he real? What is going on between the two of them, exactly, and why does he insist that she keep it to herself? As secrets usually go, however, it's only a matter of time before everything comes out. And when Dahlia finds out the truth of who Rowan is, who she is, and how he really feels -- it’s beyond anything she could have ever imagined.
Source: I won an e-arc in a giveaway. This has not affected my review.

If I Speak True went well for me! Early on, I could sense that it was going to be good. The writing, the characters, the story--they all felt good. There wasn't much that I didn't like about it.

CREATIVITY

This book was definitely creative. It mixed the real world with a dream one--one with a queen and other royals I loved the explanations behind the conflicts happening in Ambrosia and I really liked certain elements (for example: all the males were named after trees). Most of the specifics about the world were revealed towards the end of the books, so all I'll tell you is that I really liked how it was put together. It was a very interesting world.

THE MAIN CHARACTER

Dahlia is one of that stood out to me the most. More specifically, it was her POV. Her narration and thoughts . . . they just made her seem real. She wasn't anything too special (well, aside from the fact that she could travel to a different world in her dreams), but was instead a completely normal teenage girl. Dahlia reminded me a lot of many girls I have conversations with, both online and offline. She had her awkward moments (a certain frosting scene comes to mind), and she had her funny ones (many of them). She also had to deal with many friend, family, and school issues, just like a lot of other teenagers.

I know I'm not describing it well, but the things Dahlia thinks and does . . . well, they're things I can see (and have seen) others her age thinking and doing. For some reason, this really stood out to me.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

My interest level in this book dropped in the last ten percent or so. As I mentioned before, many of the details of Ambrosia were revealed towards the end. A lot of them. It was a bit of an info dump. The details were a lot to take in. I still really liked them--I just wish they were a little more spread out. 

Also, the climax of the story fell flat for me. I barely noticed it. The highest point of the story is one of my favorite parts of a book, and the highest point of this book just didn't feel very high.

OVERALL

I really enjoyed this one! Along with its creativity and realistic main character, I loved the humor in it. There were a few laugh-at-loud moments that I absolutely loved and there was an entertaining POV that I enjoyed. While the ending didn't leave a huge impression on me, the rest of the book was really good--good enough to make me interested in continuing the series.


Jessica Brooks
Jessica L. Brooks resides with her husband of over sixteen years, three awesome daughters, and a plethora of pets in Central California, where fog, frost, triple-digit heat and various items of produce arrive bountifully, depending on the season. She has an affinity for both coffee and owls, and loves to connect with fellow readers and writers on most social networks like Goodreads, Twitter and Pinterest. You can also connect with her on her blog, Let Me Tell You A Story. Jessica shares reviews for her favorite books on Afterglow Book Reviews, spreads writing and author love for independently-published authors at Indie Ignites, and salutes all writers (no matter what stage in their writerly journey) at Operation Awesome.

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Goodreads | Pinterest | Tumblr | Newsletter


InternationalEnter to win an If I Speak True ebook and swag! 
US OnlyEnter to win an If I Speak True paperback or ebook, book tote, and swag! 

KateTiltonsBookBloggers

Blog Tour Schedule
January 27th – Kristalyn Thornock at The Sarcastic Palmtree (Release Day/DVD giveaway)
January 27th – Cassandra at Cassandra Lost in Books (Release Day)
January 27th – Meg at Book Groupies (Release Day)
January 28th – Kaitlin at Reading is My Treasure (Review)
January 28th – Lisa at Dizneeee's World of Books
January 29th – Kathy at I Am A Reader, Not A Writer (Author Interview)
January 29th – Cheyanne at Cheyanne Young (Author interview)
January 30th – Eugenia at Chasm of Books (Author Interview and Review)
January 30th – A. Kerr at Kerrific (Review)
January 31st – Jenna (JL) at Avid Reader Musings (Writing Playlist)
January 31st – Ella Johnson at Mymcbooks Blog (Spotlight/giveaway)
February 1rd -Eugenia at Chasm of Books (Shaver dream cast)
February 3rd – Heather Rosdol at Buried in Books (Review)
February 3rd – Rachel at The NerdHerd Reads (Dreamcast)
February 4th – Penny at One Writer's Journey (Author Interview)
February 4th – Dana at Dana Square (character interview)
February 5th – Beverly at The Wormhole (Author interview and book promo spot)
February 5th – Kaycee at My Crafty Zoo (Deleted scene and recipe)
February 6th – Kimberly Lim at Kim's Reading Lounge (Review)
February 6th – Dianne at Oops! I Read A Book Again (Review)
February 7th – Janie Junebug at Women: We Shall Overcome (Guest Post)
February 7th – Jodie at Books for Company (Lyrics written for If I Speak True)
February 7th - Colleen at Cici's Theories (Plant meanings and their correlations to the characters)

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on your blog tour!
    This book looks really good, and why do I have a feeling that I've heard of the name "Ambrosia" before??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ambrosia is often referred to as the "food of the gods" in mythology, so you may have heard of it in a Greek myth or retelling?

      Delete
  2. I love how you format your posts Kaitlin! (I have yet to learn the fancy posting.) Thank you for sharing an honest review! I think this series will be a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I'm really glad I got the opportunity to be a part of this tour. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! That's why I started the group! Hopefully you'll find many great books and opportunities to come!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.