Thursday, January 23, 2014

Blogger Spotlight ~ Cal from Read Books and Live Green


If you want to be interviewed for a Blogger Spotlight, please go here. I'll send you a series of questions as soon as I can.

********************************************************

Today, I am featuring Cal from Read Books and Live Green! 

First of all, this has got to be one of the funnest interviews I've ever done. It's was so entertaining to read Cal's answers and to respond to them.

About the Blogger

Cal is a a YA book blogger an Read Books and Live Green. She loves reading and being outside. She's also obsessed with her dog. :)

Cal was also one of the Twitter stalkers followers that I tweeted the most in 2013, so I've gotten to know how awesome she is! If you're on Twitter and would like to get to know her yourself, her Twitter handle is @Read_LiveGreen


(I added a few responses to her answers in purple.)

Hi Cal!

HI KAITLIN! I would like to apologize in advance the ramblings that you are sure to find in this interview. I happen to be feeling a bit hyper and have illustrated many thoughts using the art of parentheses (because it is an art) as well as a whole lot of punctuation and capital letters.

It's totally okay. I'm prepared! (Oh, and I like using parentheses too. ☺)

First, describe your blog in three words.

Loud, Biased, Messy (a lot like how I keep my room! Man, I am so good at really convincing people to come visit my blog… aren’t I?)

(But it's different than what most people say!)

What makes your blog worth reading?

Well, I have an extremely charming personality… (Isn’t that enough for you people?) But along with my cheery disposition (be thankful I’m not gloomy) my blog is knock your socks off opinionated, because well, my blog, my opinion, and I want to share it with you all…
Kidding.. Kind of… I would say my blog is worth reading because …. (seriously why am I so bad at selling it?) I love talking about books and well, I’ve learned that many a people who take joy from reading book blogs, generally like books, and since I like books… LETS BE FRIENDS? (Good enough?)
WAIT I’VE GOT MY SELLING POINT! Wait for it……
I love talking to other people about books and normally I am an extremely friendly person who just so happens to be a bundle of joy when talking about books, math, the outdoors, and animals! (Math blog! BAM! New greatest idea!)

:D :D :D

What are you currently reading?

Currently I am rereading my History essay on the Dred Scott case and, if I do say so myself, it’s fascinating! (*boosting ego here! Don’t bash it!*)
But seriously, I happen to be reading a few books at the same time! (Because I’m super duper cool like that!) One of which happens to be The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent and this book… Steampunk+Newton and Darwin among other brilliant scientists that are seen as religious figures=MY BIBLE=I secretly wish that this was my world! (Guess it’s not a secret anymore!)
Also I just finished Dare You To by Katie McGarry… and I am wowed… (Is that a word… It deserves to be!) Personally I think this was 1,000,000,000 times better than Pushing the Limits!

I love Katie McGarry's books! (Yes, wowed is a word.)

What is one of your favorite cover trends? Least favorite?

FAVORITE: Knives on covers… People say this is getting overdone after Graceling… BUT I DON’T CARE I LIKE KNIVES! (No not in that way…but you know.. they are pretty on covers! *shrugs*)
LEAST FAVORITE: Half dressed people on the covers… No I do not really want to see any one’s bra or underwear, and I’m not very comfortable with shirtless guys on covers either… because I have a reputation to maintain and it does not involve people thinking I like erotic romances… Do you get me? (Please say I’m not alone in this???)

Ugh. I don't like half-dressed people on covers either. I try to steer clear of those covers. (No, you're not alone!)

What is one of your biggish bookish pet peeves?

Ohhh… This is a tough one…
People sleeping.. *BAM* Okay when I read about a book if a character mention sleep too many times I notice *eye twitch* and it really bothers me… I don’t know why, but reading about sleepy people bothers me.. Perhaps it’s because I’m a super hyper person (Like bounce off the walls, run laps around the house, jump up and down in the middle of class, hyper) and I just can’t relate to people who love constant sleep...

I am the opposite of you: me being really hyper is rare. I'm very calm. (You sound as hyper as one of my best friends often gets!)

What book do you think would make an amazing movie and why?

LEVIATHAN BY SCOTT WESTERFELD
This book is the reason I can sleep at night… (Only my favorite books can help calm me down when I’m hyper! And if you can’t tell, while writing this I AM SUPER HYPER…..) But Leviathan is the embodiment of everything a book needs to be. (In my opinion…) It has girls dressed up as guys, lots of pretty picture, a slow burn epic romance, and some of the best steampunk elements out there! (Leviathan also caused my steampunk obsession.)
Basically Leviathan would make the perfect movie with the insane action, intrigue, and romance!

Yes! I love your answer (I once answered Leviathan in an interview for a similar question). I absolutely love this Leviathan and the rest of the series!

Why read ______ books? [pick a genre/subgenre to fill in the blank]

YA STEAMPUNK
Recently I’ve heard of a lot of people who dislike steampumk *gasp* It is currently the lowest group for our tour service that people are willing to tour…(which makes me sad!!!!) So I am here with the mission to convince you to read steampunk!
Steampunk is like we rewrote the past as if somewhere along the way we chose a different option and became a different world and society! A lot of times in steampunk they use scientific elements along with several of my idols (i.e. Newton, Darwin, ect..) and they become some of the most powerful people in society. (Like in The Unnaturalists where they are basically equivalent to a god) Or like in Leviathan where it’s the Darwinists vs. Clankers (animals vs. machines) I do believe that there is a lot of good steampunk out there, but there is also a lot of bad stuff too! I get that maybe people started off on the wrong foot with it, and I wish they would give it another chance!
Steampunk is so interesting and creative and just plain old fun! I’m completely mind blown that people downright hate the entire genre!

I think the only steampunk I've ever read was the Leviathan series . . . wait, no. I've also read Masque of the Red Death, which was really interesting! Steampunk is a really cool genre.

Besides reading and blogging, what do you like to do for fun?

The question is what don’t I like to do? (kidding.. I hate many things!) Personally I love playing with my dog all the time. But I’m a huge fan of the outdoors. I love biking and skiing. And I have a strange obsession with hiking and backpacking… (Strange for the reason that what person would think it’s fun carrying a 45 pound pack up a steep incline for miles, but hey, don’t bash it until you try it!) I like to partake in activities like trail crew and volunteering at my local animal shelter.
I also have the current fascination with leaping up and down on my bed, because FUN!!!! Clearly...And MATH, it’s calming……….

I know someone else who finds math calming. Volunteering is one of the things that I like to do for fun, too!

Now, time to gush about a book you love.
Pick one of your favorite books/series and answer the following questions about it.

ONE?! KAITLIN! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME?????
*Grumbles to self*
Well.. since I already fangirled over Leviathan, I’m going to take a different route and go self (I believe soon to become Indie) pub. 

What book is it and who is it by?

The Nature of Grace series by S.R. Johannes

*Goes to Amazon, finds it free, downloads it*

Why do you love it?

This series has a lot of things I love! Grace is an avid supporter of wildlife in the Smoky Mountains (Which is not the mountain range that I am anywhere near… but I totally get her obsession with going and hiking out there!) Plus I love how she stands up for what she believes in! She’s gone through so much and I adore her and the rest of the characters in this series… Plus the romance is AMAZING!

A good romance and an awesome heroine? I like it already!

Why did you pick the book up and read it in the first place?

Well, I saw it in the kindle store and thought “that looks like a great book!” And then later I looked back at it and was like “OMG it’s $.99!!!” Since I am an avid reader of books that are cheap I immediately bought it! AND LOVED IT! So then I went on to buy the second one! AND I LOVED THAT ONE TOO! Now, I am currently desperately waiting for the third one…. SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!

I love finding real gems like that at such a low price.

Who is your favorite character from it and why?

Grace… noooo… Mo… noooo…. Grace…. Noooo…. Morace? (This is now my ship name for them….) I’m picking two because I love them both and I want to squish them together. Mo and Grace are both so strong and somewhat stupid! But I love them for it! (I mean who thinks I shall go into a forest with a killer! YES! LETS ALL DO THAT!) But still they are my ship and I just adore the both of them! (Although if I had to choose one it would be Grace… because I feel a connection to her… she’s a bit like me! Impulsive, slightly insane, extremely loyal, and a lover of nature and animals!)

You found the perfect character for you, huh?

Rate the cover on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = horrible, 10 = absolutely amazing)


Personally I LOVE all of the covers and would give them a 10 (the exception to my people hate on covers) EXCEPT for the novella’s cover which I would give a 2… because you can see all of her makeup and she just isn’t looking too good there!

Yeah . . . I have to agree with you on the novella. 

Thanks for letting me interview you. :)

NO Thank you for interviewing me! I am most likely the most annoying person to interview because I ramble a lot and use excessive punctuation and CAPS LOCK… I apologize…. Thank you all for dealing with me this long! *solemnly walks away*

*Waves goodbye to Cal* This was so much fun.
********************************************************

4 comments:

  1. I loved this interview! (And Cal you are absolutely hilarious :-)
    And I LOVE Katie McGarry!
    Great Interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh! Thank you! I try being as funny as possible! And YES! Katie McGarry FTW!

      Delete
  2. YAY! Kaitlin, thanks so much for doing this interview! I had so much fun answering questions! It was a ton of fun! :-) <3 And it's totally okay to call me a stalker! I have admitted my flaws! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the interview! VERY entertaining!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.