Saturday, January 18, 2014

Early Review ~ And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 240 (for hardcover)
Publication date: January 28th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte
Goodreads Description: 
When high school senior Paul Wagoner walks into his school library with a stolen gun, he threatens his girlfriend Emily Beam, then takes his own life. In the wake of the tragedy, an angry and guilt-ridden Emily is shipped off to boarding school in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she encounters a ghostly presence who shares her name. The spirit of Emily Dickinson and two quirky girls offer helping hands, but it is up to Emily to heal her own damaged self.

This inventive story, told in verse and in prose, paints the aftermath of tragedy as a landscape where there is good behind the bad, hope inside the despair, and springtime under the snow.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

*Clarification: this book has poetry in it, but it's not written in verse. It's written in prose with a lot of poems from the main character and Emily Dickinson mixed in with it.

And We Stay was a lyrical and beautiful story about coming to terms with loss. While it was a good story, it wasn't as strong or as impacting as it had the potential to be.

HERE'S WHAT I LIKED

Like I said, it was a beautiful story. I liked the point of it and I loved how it was writtenseamless transitions between past and present with poems dispersed throughout. Books written like this one tend to sit well with me. I liked the soulful and somber feel to this one; it fit well with Emily's story. There was also a connection between the main character and Emily Dickinson that I simply loved!

One of the other things I liked was the absence of romance. That wasn't the spotlight. There wasn't even a central couple. Well, in Emily's flashbacks, she remembers Paul and her relationship with him, but it didn't have that romance-y feel to it. Her memories of him were quite brief (thought there were a lot of memories) and more or less dispassionate. I appreciated the lack of romanceit would've been unnecessary if there was a lot of it. No big spotlight on romance meant there was more room for the rest of the story to be told and for its messages to be delivered.

HOWEVER . . .

There was a distanced feel to the entire book. We didn't become in tune with Emily's emotions as much as we (or at least, I) hope. Because of that, the power and the impact of this girl's journey towards recovery was watered downmuffled. It didn't come through as strong as it could have. There was a ton of potential for this book to be heartbreaking and memorable, but it didn't reach that level for me.

OVERALL

And We Stay was well worth the read. It didn't take long to finish and I mostly enjoyed it. The only problem was that it missed that emotional mark where the story pulls the readers in and makes them truly get to know and sympathize with the characters. There was too much distancein the characters, in the characters, I'm not exactly surethat just . . . left this book short of its full potential. 



My questions for you:

What usually makes a book feel distanced to you?
Do you like it when poetry is used in books?

10 comments:

  1. I usually can't stand books in verse/poetry...Which makes me very disappointed in this one because I didn't realize it was done that way!
    I might still try it out though.

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried someone would get the impression that this book is written in verse from reading my review. It's not! It just has poems mixed in with it, and that is what gave the book a lyrical feel to me.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'll probably check this one out! I can't stand books that are entirely poetry, but I have loved books with poetry sprinkled in, i.e. Rose Under Fire, which I LOVED.
    Great review!
    Carisa Bookworm @ The Bookworm Insider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like books like this! I really like books with poetry in them. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I have only read a couple books with poetry in them, a few entirely done in poetry. I really enjoyed them though.. When done correctly they flow beautifully.

    ~Chelle
    http://thepassionatebookworms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books with poetry in them. Whether the whole book is in verse or whether there's just poems incorporated into the story, poetry adds something special to the writing.

      Delete
  4. I've actually never heard of this book! I can't believe it slipped past my notice O_O Anyway, it sounds like it could be amazing but was a bit of a disappointment - at least, that's how it seems to me. I don't think I had it on my TBR list, but I won't be reading it. I don't mind if poetry is in a book - I love poetry and I think it adds a sense of mysticism to any literary work.

    Great review, Kaitlin!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa! This book was a disappointment. It was just too distanced for my liking, and I have a feeling you wouldn't like it very much if you had wanted to read it.

      Delete
  5. I completely agree about how it was good but you didn't entirely connect with the characters. It could have been so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.