Monday, January 6, 2014

Early Review ~ Salt by Danielle Ellison

Series: Salt #1
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 266 (for kindle edition)
Publication date: January 7th, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Goodreads Description: 
Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the information she needs to find "her" demon. To take back what was stolen.

Then she meets Carter. He’s cute, smart, and she can borrow his magic, too. He knows her secret—but he also has one of his own.

Suddenly, Penelope’s impossible quest becomes far more complicated. Because Carter’s not telling her everything, and it’s starting to seem like the demons have their own agenda…and they’re far too interested in her. 
Source: I received an e-ARC copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Salt is a very witty, action packed, magical read, and I'm very glad I gave it a chance!

THINGS I LIKED


There was a certain quotability to this bookthere were quite a few moments that I wanted to highlight and quote! I really like books with a good sense of humor, and this one had a touch of humor in the dialogue and the narration that made the book quite enjoyable to read. Many of my favorite books have a lot of funny moments to quote, so this was one of my favorite things about Salt.
"Do you have a nice little house in hell? Drapes? Servants? A cute little demon dog? All the Jazz?" (ARC loc 32)
There was also some pretty cool magic involved. I really liked system (the Enforcers and the tests) that was set up as well as many of of the concepts (like the way Penelope was able to use magic).

Lastly, Penelope and Carter: they were an awesome couple. They definitely kept things interesting, and I think many readers would enjoy their romance.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE

There's really not much I didn't like
at least, not anything really noticeable. The only negative thing I can say it was a bit slow for me. It didn't engross me and it took me quite awhile to read.

OVERALL

Salt was a highly enjoyable read and I had a lot of fun with it! I suggest giving this one a go if you're looking for a good, fun read.



My questions for you:

What makes a book quotable to you?
What is one of the most fun books you've ever read?
Is it just me, or is purple not a very common color for book covers?

6 comments:

  1. oh yay glad you like Salt! I'm planning on starting it tomorrow hopefully! That quote was funny and has me wanting to see if there's more funny ones! The fact that the cover has purple on it is probably why it caught my attention in the first place! It is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite color too. :) I hope you enjoyed the book!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a good book. I've never read any books about witches other than the Harry Potter series and for some reason I don't really count that. Yeah you're right, purple is uncommon for a book cover! I wonder why...I never noticed that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read some more witch books! There are some pretty good ones out there.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a book that would really enjoy. I tend to like witch books more often than not. I love a story that is about something serious, but still manages to add a touch of humor. It does worry me that it is a little slow-paced, but I think the good seems to outweigh that one bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And it may not even be slow for you! It just went a little slow for me because I wasn't sucked into the story.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.