Saturday, January 4, 2014

Mini Review ~ Backward Compatible by Sarah Daltry & Pete Clark


Series: standalone
Genre: NA contemporary
Pages: 230
Publication date: December 8th, 2013
Publisher: Createspace
Goodreads Description: 
WARNING: There is no sex in this book. Your Kindle or other device will remain at a pleasant room temperature. At no point will your panties drop. Your significant other will be allowed to snore in peace as you read.

Not too long ago, in a town that, depending on your current location, is either not super far or actually quite close…

It is a time of chaotic hormones.
Two nerdy gents home for winter break have discovered a female gamer at a midnight release.

During the break, the gamer trio manages to reveal the game’s secret boss, a hidden enemy with enough power to destroy anything in its path.

Pursued by other gamers who want to be the first to beat this boss, George and Katie race to level up, and, in so doing, restore decency and sexual activity to their personal galaxy… 
Source: Bought

Backward Compatible was a hilarious, fun read! It was also a very, very good New Adult. It wasn't overrun with sexual content like many NAs seem to be turning out lately. (As for the sexual jokes and references . . . well, I can't same the same for those.) The book, though, did have tons of foul language and gamer lingo that didn't make a lick of sense to me, but that made reading it all the more entertaining. There was a cute, adorable, and geeky couple that I just loved and a very weird, funny sidekick with an unfortunate name and the worst pickup lines of mankind. There was a cool story that involved both the navigation of a budding relationship and the conquering of a video game. There was also an extremely odd assortment of characters that kept me laughing. Backward Compatible was definitely a good book to end the year off with (it was the last one I read in 2013), and I definitely enjoyed it.

I'm going to keep this review short and sweet, and will say this last thing: you won't regret reading this book. It is incredibly funny, realistic, crass, and unique. I highly recommend it!

Since I have such a short review . . . here's a taste of the hilarity that is this book:

"'Lanyon,' I tell him, 'we're just going to buy bread.'

'Yes,' he nods from the backseat of Crimson Lightning, 'but we go into the very belly of the beast to procure said wheaty substance.'
'Walmart?' Katie asks.
'Aye, Lanyon adds with a hint of pirate voice and deep tragedy, 'Walmart.'"

My question for you:

Have you ever read a geek romance?

8 comments:

  1. Backward Compatible sounds awesome!! This book goes on top of my TBR. Great Review!!!

    Katering @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds hilarious, the summary made me crack up. I have to pick this up, it sounds like a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good laugh. I haven't read very many books as funny as this one. :D

      Delete
  3. Cute cover; haven't heard of this before

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a quite a selling quote, lol. Walmart. I'm so going to pick this book up since I'm gamer. I'm sounds like there wasn't a love triangle (please tell me there is no love triangle). I don't think I have read a geek romance but does Scott Pilgrim vs. The World count? If so, then yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you that there is no love triangle!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.