Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mini Review ~ Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 352 (for hardcover)
Publication date: January 7th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte
Goodreads Description: 
Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

(First of all, I'm sorry about the vague and short review. I really don't like to post ones like these, but this was just one of those books where I had hardly anything to say about.)

Being Sloane Jacobs was one of the lightest, funniest, and cutest things I've read in a long time, and I enjoyed it immensely.

This book is every bit as adorable as it seems. It was like one of those romantic comedies that you watch and can't help but love because it's just too darn cute.

The story had the well-worn concept of two opposite people switching places and pretending to be one another, but with some delightful twists. The book was like a pretty present wrapped up neatly with a cute little bow, but that can be a really good thing.

Overall, I had fun reading Being Sloane Jacobs. It didn't turn out to be a very memorable story, but it's still one that many readers can enjoy while reading it.


My questions for you:

Do you like to read romantic comedy style books?
Do you ever read a book and have hardly anything to say about it?

8 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to this one for a while now, so I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Personally I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking in terms of the story, but I think I'll enjoy it for it's cute, lightheartedness. (Perfect for the summer weather right now!)
    In answer to your second question yes! There are definitely times when I just don't know what to write in a book review, not because the book was bad, but there just isn't a lot to say haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is a good time for cute stories. :)

      Delete
  2. Awww sounds like a really cute, light hearted read! I didn't end up reading this one, but thanks for your review. I'll know what to pick up once I'm in the mood for a mushy read.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it whenever you get to it, Jeann. :-)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a delightful book can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an ARC of this too, just haven't gotten around to it yet...oops. It seems like something that would be cute and fun, but not too memorable, so I'm glad you thought so too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.