Monday, January 20, 2014

Review ~ Avalon by Mindee Arnett

Series: Avalon #1
Genre: YA science fiction
Pages: 432 (for hardcover)
Publication date: January 21st, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads Description: 
A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern the Confederation are as corrupt as the crime bosses who patrol it, and power is held by anyone with enough greed and ruthlessness to claim it. That power is derived from one thing: metatech, the devices that allow people to travel great distances faster than the speed of light.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew of teenage mercenaries have survived in this world by stealing unsecured metatech, and they're damn good at it. Jeth doesn't care about the politics or the law; all he cares about is earning enough money to buy back his parents' ship, Avalon, from his crime-boss employer and getting himself and his sister, Lizzie, the heck out of Dodge. But when Jeth finds himself in possession of information that both the crime bosses and the government are willing to kill for, he is going to have to ask himself how far he'll go to get the freedom he's wanted for so long.

Avalon is the perfect fit for teens new to sci-fi as well as seasoned sci-fi readers looking for more books in the YA space-and a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

I don't consider myself a big fan of science fiction. I usually do enjoy the few ones I do finish, but I rarely love them. Avalon is an exception. It was amazing! From what I can recall, I can't remember reading a sci-fi as exciting as this one. 

There is very little that I didn't like . . . the beginning was a little rocky for me and some parts around 70 percent lost the rest of the books excitement, but other than that, everything worked. I really liked the characters, though I'm not exactly sure why. The world was very interesting. I rarely ever read a book set in space, so it definitely felt different and unique. There was also a eeriness to a few of the scenes that just pulled me in and made the book all the more interesting.

I even liked the romance, which may be a problem with most readers. I didn't feel that it was a big focus. Compared to most books I read, there really wasn't much romance. It was a nice addition to the story, but it wasn't the point of the story nor was it my favorite part of the book. 

My favorite part was the many twists, turns, and exciting events. There were scary, thrilling, exciting, tense, and oddly enough, hilarious moments spread throughout the entire book. (There was one scene in particular cracked me up for some reason. I'll just say that one character completely screwed another over, and I found it to be incredibly comical.) Except for a couple slow moments, the book was nonstop excitement, and I had a ton of fun reading it!

Overall, Avalon was an amazing read. Full of exciting twits and cool events, this book did not disappoint! I really love this one and I definitely recommend it.


My questions for you:

Do you like reading science fiction?
What books would you recommend for a reluctant sci-fi reader?
What do you think of Avalon's cover?

8 comments:

  1. I've only read a couple science fiction books, most of them by Orson Scott Card, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Avalon looks like a really good read, but the one problem I have had trouble with is understanding the terms and concepts surrounding the world (especially with the battle station scenes in Ender's Game). Did Avalon have any parts that you felt like you didn't understand, like tech related stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I didn't, but then as the book went on, I could figure everything out.

      Delete
  2. I have the e-galley for this one, too, but haven't read it yet. I have to admit that I've been a bit hesitant to start it. Sci fi isn't really my genre and I've seen some negative reviews for this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love that has both eeriness and humor. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've seen quite a few negative reviews on it myself, but hopefully it goes (or went) well for you.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you liked this one. I've seen mixed review for it lately, though I'm a massive sci fi fan so I really want to read it!!! I like it when the romance isn't the most prominant thing because in these type of books there are so many greater things to be worrying about instead of "Oh does he like me?"

    Great review!

    - Francoise @ My Crazy Bookish World
    http://www.mycrazybookishworld.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope this one goes well for you if you ever read it!

      Delete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it, Kaitlin. I just finished it today (took me 3 weeks to read it b/c I have so many hw) and I loved it! My favorite part of the book is also the plot twists and the world building. I also like how the romance wasn't a big part of the book. I love how it was more action packed instead of it having focused on the lovey dovey parts haha. I really like the characters as well especially Jeth because of how he loves and cares for his family and crew so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved this one, Leigh! It seems that a lot of people didn't. :(

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.