Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review ~ Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 384 (for hardcover)
Publication date: January 28th, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Goodreads Description:
Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love? 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

Heartbeat was a great read about getting past grief and falling in love that had me crying in a few spots—both happy and sad tears. 

FRIENDSHIP

The friendship was one of my favorite things of the entire novel. It was such a relief to find a close pair of friends in a book. It's so . . . rare to find. Usually, there's a lot of drama or conflict between the pair, but thankfully Olivia and Emma were an exception. There were no big fights and no drama between them. They actually spoke to each other. They were open with one another, and each did her best to support the other. It was so nice to see that happening in this Heartbeat.

CALEB & EMMA

They were . . . just an utterly adorable couple. They fit very well together. At first, I had doubts about Caleb, but he turned out to be a very sad, quiet, understanding, and nice guy. He turned out to be a really good guy. He had his own grief to deal with, as did Emma. They needed each other and that made them a very good match. The two helped each other get through the grief, and I usually love it when characters do that.

WRITING

It was beautiful and very quotable. I found myself wanting to highlight a bunch of passages simply because I liked how they sounded!

PACING

It was slow, but not the boring kind. It was a "take your time" slow. Things weren't rushed and development was allowed to happen.

OVERALL

Heartbeat was a beautiful read with amazing relationships and a focus on grief—how it effects individuals, how it affects families—that was very well done.


My question for you:

Do you find it rare to find a really strong friendship between to female characters?

9 comments:

  1. The premise sounds very interesting. I love slow brewed story with a full development on its characters. Thanks for the nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Development just makes a book better. I love it! You're welcome. :)

      Delete
  2. I simply loved this book.It made me cry a lot,and as soon as I finished the book,I went up to my mother and hugged her tightly.
    Well,it's not rare to find friendships like that,but I think authors never give importance to that.Sometimes the heroine has a best friend just for the sake of discussing her love life.But there are good friendships in the fiction world.Normally Sarah Dessen's heroines have great friends and Emma and Sara's friendship in Reason to Breathe was a wonderful one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Dessen definitely has wonderful friendships in her books. :) I'm glad you loved this book. It's a good one.

      Delete
  3. I loved Heartbeat, it's definitely a personal one, and it got to me in a few places, haha, so emotional, but it was so beautiful. And yes, it is rare (though there are a few out there) to actually find a friendship that's all 'ohh she's my best friend' one minute then 'she's such a slut' the next. Caleb was a lovely surprise, too. They really were the perfect broken match, and the perfect safe place for eachother. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this one! I wish there were more friendships that weren't so back-and-forth and dramatic. Strong friendships are so nice.

      Delete
  4. I have this one but am kind of scared to read it. It sounds so sad. It's awesome that a realistic, solid friendship is showcased--that is rare. I'll have to put on my big girl pants and give this a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely give it a try! It may be sad, but it's still a great book. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I've requested this from NG but haven't received any feedback yet. To be honest, I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it (there's even a DNF review) which really made me scared about reading it. I am glad that you love this one though because that's kind of an assurance that I might enjoy it as much as you did.

    I love stories about friendships and a romance that is beautifully done.

    Great review, Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.