Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review ~ Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

If you would like to know more of my thoughts on this series, you can read my review of The Madman's Daughter!

Series: The Madman's Daughter #2
Genre: YA historical fiction, horror
Pages: 368
Publication date: December 28th, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins)
Goodreads Description: 
To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.

Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.
As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.


As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.


With inspiration from Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this is a tantalizing mystery about the hidden natures of those we love and how far we’ll go to save them from themselves.  
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

Her Dark Curiosity was just as creepy as its predecessor. Actually, considering scenes towards the end, it's even creepier.

LOVE TRIANGLE

I might as well get the romance out of the way first. Yes, there's still a love triangle. It's not something I expect most readers to enjoy, but I didn't mind it. It wasn't the most amazing part (which is why I'm keeping this brief) of the story, but I still liked it. 

JULIET

Oh dear . . . what are you doing, Juliet?

By the end of this book, it's clear that the heroine is walking down this dark and dangerous path. She's becoming more inclined to explore the darkness and madness that we first saw inThe Madman's Daughter. She's definitely not an easily likable character. I expect many readers to disapprove of her actions (especially towards the end, where she makes some shocking decisions). Juliet really struggled with the darkness inside her in this sequel, which made her a very interesting character. I'm really curious as to how she deals with that darkness in the next book. Will she succumb to it or decide to fight it instead?

THE EXPANSION OF MADNESS

I loved how Dr. Moreau's experiments expanded in this story. They weren't secluded to an island anymore. More and more people were revealed to be involved in the madness, and I loved how the author did this. It allowed for a few (no, many) new conflicts to arise.

OVERALL

Her Dark Curiosity wasn't as engrossing or as great as The Madman's Daughter. The sequel still had the creepiness, twists, and mystery that I absolutely loved in the first one. There was even another killer ending that left me dying for the next book. If you liked The Madman's Daughter, you're going to want to read this one too! 

I have one more thing to add: I love how the books are inspired by classics. It makes them all the more interesting!

My questions for you:

What did you think of The Madman's Daughter (if you've read it)? 
Are you familiar with the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?
Why do you like/dislike love triangles?

2 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by the series. I haven't read it yet, but I want to. It is fascinating how people deal with madness (real or perceived) . I am familiar with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- it is unique when authors take classics and reinvent them. It depends on the love triangle- some are annoying and others make sense. It is all on how they are written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This love triangle seems to annoy a lot of readers, but I the rest of the story is really good. And very interesting.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.