Wednesday, February 12, 2014

An Open Letter to Authors

Dear authors (especially the ones of YA),

I've never been good at answering the role model question. You know, the one that goes "who is your role model and why?" I've never looked up to many celebrities, historical figures, or athletes as many people do. Even in my personal life, I've never really and truly looked up to anyonethey may be good role model material, but . . . they don't inspire me. So, my answer to the role model question has never been completely from the heart. 

Now, after 18 years, I have finally found out who my true role models are: you.

I've never met any of younot face-to-facebut from reading the tweets you tweet, the posts you publish, and the words you write, I know that most of you are truly amazing people. You are so . . . real. Genuine. YA authors (for you are who I have had the most experience with) seem to most stand-up people I've ever had contact with. I don't know if it's because you are more in-tune to the issues society and its individuals deal with as a result of writing stories showing how young adults face those issues, or something much simpler, but you seem to be a very moralistic group of people. Most of you seem to know what the right thing to do is and then encourage others to do the right thing as well. I've seen you stand up and speak out about so many thingsbullying, plagiarism, abuseI just want to thank you. 

Thank you for writing the stories you write and being so passionate about doing so. Thank you for promoting literacy, self-esteem, confidence, recovery, choice, morals, and countless other things. Thank you for standing up against bullying and other wrongs, for encouraging others stick to good morals, and for just being . . . the good people that you are.

Every time you impart any sort of lesson in your stories, stand up for yourself and others in blog posts, or just simply demonstrate good morals and decisions in any shape or form, you touch somebody's life. You inspire your readers (and non-readers too). You brighten their days and lift their spirits. I just really want to let you know how much I (and most of my fellow readers) look up to you. 

Thank you for being good, upstanding role models and for providing your readers with ways to learn good life lessons.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Kaitlin

One of your many, many readers

********************************************************
This post was prompted by a different letter that Sarah Daltry wrote, titled "Open Letter to Bullies," last week on her own blog. I encourage you to click on that link, read the post, and see one of many examples of authors sticking up for what they believe in and demonstrating how good of people they are.

18 comments:

  1. Perfectly written........Authors stick up for good things.

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means a lot to hear this from readers. I feel the same way about the authors I look up to, and I know sometimes we lose sight of the fact that people do pay attention. Thanks for writing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thank you for reading it!

      Delete
  3. Wow, great letter! Very different from a lot of posts I've been seeing lately. And I agree; after following more authors, I see the amount of work that goes into it and the sheer infectious joy they spread for the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect! Your letter is so right! Authors are saints. (at least, most of them.) They work so hard and share such joy with us book nerds. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a lovely letter to the authors! I like how you said most of them do the right thing and are lovely role models for the YA community which is awesome! Great post Kaitlin <3

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really do make good role models. :)

      Delete
  6. Awww, these is a wonderful letter. For me, books are like the extension not only of the author's imagination, but also of their principles and the values they believe in. If we learn so much from the books they wrote, then that means they've truly been good role models. I think that is enough (perhaps more than enough?) for their mark to be imprinted in our lives <3

    Wonderful letter, Kaitlin :)

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it! YA has positively influence my life for years and I'm so glad that the people behind the books I read are such good people.

      Delete
  7. This is such a fantastic, honest, beautiful letter! I absolutely ADORE YA authors for their bravery. The world does not take it easy on them. The world has banned their books, they have discriminated against them because they are "writing for kids", they have been told time and time again that their work isn't suitable for teens. But like you said, these authors are role models because despite all the challenges they face, they continue to write. You expressed this and so much more so well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you read and liked the letter. :-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely letter written beautifully :) I would like to be an author someday, and like to think I am aspiring to one myself. Just remember this letter also refers to you, because you read books and write blog posts too. Maybe even your own stories - I wouldn't know. So you are all you write down here to, just so you know ^^

    Check out my book review of A High Wind in Jamaica: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/02/a-high-wind-in-jamaica-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.