Sunday, February 9, 2014

Early Review ~ All That Glows by Ryan Graudin

Series: standalone
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 480
Publication date: February 11th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
Emrys—a fiery, red-headed Fae—always embraced her life in the Highlands, far from the city’s draining technology, until she’s sent to London to rejoin the Faery Guard. But this isn’t any normal assignment—she’s sent to guard Prince Richard: Britain’s notorious, partying bad boy and soon-to-be King. The prince’s careless ways and royal blood make him the irresistible for the dark spirits that feed on mortals. Sweet, disheveled, and alive with adventure—Richard is one charge who will put Emrys’s magic and heart to the test.

When an ancient force begins preying on the monarchy, Emrys must hunt through the London’s magical underworld, facing down Banshees, Black Dogs and Green Women to find the one who threatens Richard’s life. In this chaos of dark magic, palace murders and paparazzi, Emrys finds herself facing an impossible choice. For despite all her powers, Emrys has discovered a force that burns brighter than magic: love. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

All That Glows started off really well. It had an interesting premise: fae girl assigned to guard party-boy prince, but breaks all the rules when she develops a connection with him as an evil force tries to destroy his family. It was set in London, which was a nice change of scenery for me. The book was interesting and descriptive. It had a rich romantic feel that I enjoyed. There was a fiery haired fae, a nice prince, and a decent romance that I liked (but didn't love). I even thought the writing was really good, though I have to admit it was overly descriptive at times. 

Somewhere around the halfway mark, however, the book didn't seem as good as before. The plot--the conflict dealing with the "Old One," the events revolving around that conflict, the concluding scenes--was just . . . meh. My interest and enjoyment wavered soon after the "I-love-you's" happened, which was when the threat of the Old One was getting bigger. Instead of becoming more exciting like it should have, the book became less interesting.

Overall, All That Glows started off as a good book. It got my attention and the characters, premise, setting, and writing all felt good. If only I had been more interested in the actual plot (especially towards the end), I may have enjoyed it more. Despite the fact that I didn't like that part of the story very much, I do expect most readers to enjoy it a lot more than me.


My questions for you:

Do you like books with fairies/fae in them?
What fae books do you recommend reading?
What do you think of the cover of All That Glows?

6 comments:

  1. This is actually one of the better ratings for this book that I have seen. To answer your questions, I do like books with fairies/fae in them. Unfortunately I don't have any to recommend. I haven't read any books with fae in a long time. I love the cover for All That Glows. Judging on cover alone I wouldn't even think that it is paranormal or that it is about a female bodyguard trying to protect a prince from evil ones. It looks a bit too pretty for something with that story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also gave this one three stars and was really interested in the premise but let down but a lot of the other things. For me, there was way too much focus on the romance. Yeah, towards the end I really lost interest too. I'm actually posting my review for this one tomorrow, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to write "good romance" in a book especially when it's just a standalone. Unless the whole book is devoted to romance, there is simply not enough pages to develop a relationship thoroughly. More than half of the time, the romance killed the books for me, either too dramatic, too instalove-ish, or too quick and unrealistic. This one sounded exactly like one of those romance-centered fantasy stories. And since "love" is the key explanations to lots of events in the book, if you don't get the romance, you are just not gonna like it :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous! And I love fae books, I was hoping to love this one but I have heard a lot of negative about it :-(
    Will probably try it out anyways.
    Glad to hear that the romance and writing was good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really a fae lover. I'd love to find it interesting, but really, I kind of find them confusing. Maybe I just haven't read the right ones? But, what really interested me to download All That Glows, was the London and Royal guard thing. It's the sole reason I read it, and I was really disappointed in it. For me, it just didn't stand out like I thought it would, and the instalove was annoying because I wasn't that bothered about the characters. It has an amazing cover going for it though! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen quite a few reviews now that say the same thing; it's good, but not great. Fae books tend to be a little hit and miss with me, so I don't read too many of them, and it looks this one would probably be a miss for me. One fae story that I did enjoy would be Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, it was fun and exciting and the romance wasn't too cliche :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.