Thursday, February 27, 2014

Early Review ~ The Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 304
Publication date: March 18th, 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Goodreads Description: 
Growing up in privileged, Manhattan social circles, Caggie’s life should be perfect, and it almost was until the day that her younger sister drowned when Caggie was supposed to be watching her. Stricken by grief, Caggie pulls away from her friends and family, only to have everyone misinterpret a crucial moment when she supposedly saves a fellow classmate from suicide. Now she’s famous for something she didn’t do and everyone lauds her as a hero. But inside she still blames herself for the death of her sister and continues to pull away from everything in her life, best friend and perfect boyfriend included. Then Caggie meets Astor, the new boy at school, about whom rumours are swirling and known facts are few. In Astor she finds someone who just might understand her pain, because he has an inner pain of his own. But the more Caggie pulls away from her former life to be with Astor, the more she realises that his pain might be darker, and deeper, than anything she’s ever felt. His pain might be enough to end his life…and Caggie’s as well.


Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

The Edge of Falling was, to put it bluntly, a boring book with a beautiful ending. 

WHY "BORING?"

The book never (until the very end) grasped my interest, and that was mostly due to the narration. There were quite a few events that were supposed to be interesting, but Caggie's voice was just dull. The way she told her story made the book feel flat and uninteresting. There were many—and I do mean many—flashbacks, memories, and remembering-when-this-or-that-happened moments that interrupted the flow of the story. I usually don't get annoyed by this, but this books was an exception. I oftentimes got irritated when the small flashbacks occurred because they usually popped up out of the blue and disrupted a moment or a conversation. It was tough for me to really get into the story, which only made it ever more uninteresting.

CHARACTERS, SETTING, OTHER DETAILS

I feel like I need to say something more specific, like what I thought of the characters, setting, plot, etc. However, I write about things that stood out to me in my book reviews . . . and honestly, not much stood out about this book. Sometimes, there were moments where I though "that was really well written," and though the story was boring, I did like the point of it. Most of the pieces of the book, though, were just "okay."

AN EXTRA HALF STAR . . . 

. . . given solely based on that beautiful ending. It was written in such an eloquent way and it carried so much meaning. That climax was perfect for the story—clever, too. It was the time when the book finally became good for me. The very last couple paragraphs, especially, were amazing. They fully concluded Caggie's story and brought it full circle to match with the beginning.

The ending makes me wish the rest of the book was as good. If it were . . . I most likely would've loved reading it.

OVERALL

This one was a near DNF for me. The majority of the book barely held my interest, but I pushed on and made myself finish. I'm glad I did because if I hadn't, I would've missed the best part of the entire book—that beautiful ending.


My questions for you:

Have you ever read a book that you didn't like much until the very end?
What makes a book boring for you?

2 comments:

  1. So this kinda happened to me too with Across the Universe, though it got interesting a bit sooner than this one, but overall I still feel pretty conflicted whether I should rate it badly or not. I have not DNFed any books yet, but I have becoming less and less tolerant towards bland narrations/plots/characters/etc. The main problem in Across the Universe is that nothing happens in a lot of chapters. Instead we just see the MCs whine about the same thing again and again. Quit it and move on already!! :( I guess at least it got better in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bland narrations are one of the things that kills a book for me the most. It's hard to find anything interesting if the narration doesn't make them sound interesting, huh?

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.