Sunday, February 23, 2014

Early Review ~ Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary (realistic fiction)
Pages: 336
Publication date: February 25th, 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins
Goodreads Description: 
An edgy, realistic, and utterly captivating novel from an exciting new voice in teen fiction.

Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

A searing, poignant book, Faking Normal is the extraordinary debut novel from an exciting new author-Courtney C. Stevens. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

After finishing Faking Normal, I just sat there. I sat there, feeling so calm and content. It felt sad, but only because some tears from earlier were still drying on my face. Mostly, though, I was happy. The book was wonderful and . . . it kind of left me speechless.

YA contemporary with a basis on recovery—from abuse, drugs, or anything else—are my absolute favorite. They never seem to go wrong for me—I'm always swept away in the story, the meaning, the emotions . . . and Faking Normal is no exception. It's the kind of book that, despite any flaws I find, fully deserves a five star rating. It just made my heart happy, and isn't that what a truly great book is supposed to do?

ALEXIS & HER STORY

Alexis is the one "faking normal" in this book. She was the one keeping her secret, hiding in the closet, blaming herself, and suffering as she tried to act as normal and undamaged as possible. Her character was a good one. The journey to finding her strength and voice was remarkable. And her reactions and struggle (as well as the reasons behind them, such as a childhood event) felt very well thought out and well done. The author did a great job with her and her journey.

BODEE

Bodee was . . . wow. Talk about a good character. He was never described as this hot, muscle-y, irresistible man that makes all the girls go "OMG *swoon*" (I may have stretched that last one. Just a bit. No. He was the "Kool-Aid Kid". He was the "freak" that people felt sorry for because his dad killed his mom. Bodee's was a, as Alexi herself said, a broken guy. But he was so nice And sensitive, protective, quiet, supportive . . . an all around good guy. He helped Alexi recover and open up about her secret, one step at a time. At the same time, he was able to step towards his own "recovery." The two characters were one another's rocks, and man, they were good rocks. 

OTHER DETAILS

I just want to point out a couple things that stood out to me about the book here.

Family was good in this book. The parents didn't play very big roles, but they were still good ones. Kayla was . . . well, most of the time, she acted horrible. When it came to her little sister and and the idea of anyone hurting her, though, she was such a good, strong big sister. I didn't like here much until the end, but at that point, she had completely redeemed herself for me. While family wasn't a key element in this book, neither the parents or the sister fit into that "bad family" trope that many people notice in YA.

The subject matter—well, it does focus on sexual abuse, but it's mostly on rape culture and popular views of rape. Alexi felt a lot of fear of what would happen if she told her secret. It would ruin lives. It would label her as damaged. Most of the time, she thought it was her fault . . . she let him do it, she never said no—that type of thing. The author did well with the subject matter and with including popular fears and misconceptions about sexual abuse. 

OVERALL

Faking Normal is a truly wonderful book. Did it have flaws? Yes, it did. Did they matter to me? Not a bit. I can barely even remember what they were. Even if I did remember, my heart tells me this was a five star book. I cannot recommend this one enough—it's a remarkable and important story that is likely to pull at your heartstrings and leave you saying "wow."



My questions for you:

What do you think of "recovery" books?
Have you ever read a book where its flaws don't matter to you?

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm so excited to read this book and meet Bodee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I know that there's a couple of books with rape out there that kind of uses the *shock value* of rape to raise awareness(?) but it's gotten to the point where they focus more on the rape than on the recovery. But, it sounds like this book sounds pretty good to read :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! It definitely focuses on the recovery.

      Delete
  3. Wow, when a book makes you cry you know the author did something right. I'm seeing lots of positive reviews for this one, I'll get the tissues ready when I pick this one up! Lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get the tissues ready! It's made a lot of people cry. Thank you, Jeann!

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to read this one! I've heard amazing things about it, and I really enjoyed reading your review. I definitely have to bump this one up on my TBR list. And I agree--I love books about recovery. The characters' journeys always make me emotional, and the journey to the end makes all of it worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this one, then. :) It has a great emotional journey. Thank you, Holly. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.