Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mini Reviews ~ Three Books I Lacked Connection With

These reviews may make me seem like a broken record. I had the same problem with all three books: a lack of connection.

No connection is the quickest road to a low rating for me. If I can't connect to a book . . . well, it makes it difficult for me to really like anything about it. It's also going to makes it difficult to write a thorough review, considering how I write my reviews based on what stands out to me.


********************************************************


Bird with the Heart of a Mountain 
by Barbara Mariconda

Goodreads Description: 
I throw back my tumble of black hair, roll one bare shoulder forward, then the other. The stack of bangles on each wrist shimmies and slides as my hands rise like birds in flight.

Set during the turmoil of the Spanish Civil War, sixteen-year-old Drina yearns to dance Flamenco. When she dances, she forgets who she is. She forgets what seems to be her legacy: I am nothing. I belong nowhere. 

Why does her mother forbid her to dance, the very thing that makes her feel alive? She wonders about the secrets her mother holds, about the rumored life she had before Drina was born – a story that somehow still holds them both prisoner. From the wandering Gypsy campagne to the vineyard estate of a paternal grandmother she has never known and the dance halls of Seville where Flamenco reigns, Drina fights to discover who she is and where she belongs. Not quite Gypsy, not quite Spanish, she must carve out an identity all her own and discover what it means to be a bird with the heart of a mountain. Full of mystery, loss and longing, this powerful novel brilliantly captures a young girl’s yearning and her adventurous journey to discover her true home. 

Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I love a good historical fiction novel, but the genre can be a hit or a miss for me. The book is either incredibly interesting or quite dull. In the case with Bird with the Heart of a Mountain, it was almost a complete miss. I just didn't connect to it. There wasn't much about the story that I cared for other than a few of the characters. The heroine, though, felt flat to me. She was one of the things about the book that I connected to the least. Overall, hardly anything stood out to me about the story. It didn't work for me.


********************************************************


Discovery 
by Brina Courtney

Goodreads Description: 
Discoveries can be dangerous. Discoveries can be deadly. 

Nine months ago, Teagan Matthews' boyfriend disappeared and took her sense of stability with him. But when the opportunity to live with her aging grandmother in Salem arises, she decides it's time to get on with her life. A new home, new job, and new friends are adding up to a beautiful summer...

...until a young girl's body shows up one night in town, wearing a pentagram necklace exactly like Teagan's.

Now a guy looking remarkably like her missing boyfriend has arrived in Salem along with a mysterious stranger who may have some answers that Teagan has desperately been searching for. Teagan must now decide who to trust. It's a matter of life... and her death.

*This book was previously published as Summer in Salem. The book has gone through major re-edits and a changed plot line.*
 

Source: I received a copy of this book for reviewing purposes in exchange for an honest review.

Discovery had a decent story, but I didn't connect very to it very much. I didn't truly get to know the characters, so there didn't seem to be that great of connections between any of them. I also didn't feel the emotions Teagan was feeling--it was like they were more said than shown, so the result were flat emotions that I didn't connect to. Connection is key for me: if I don't connect to a book very well, there's little else that will make me enjoy the book. Like I said before, this book has a decent story to it (not amazing, but it still was able to get me attention and interest), but because I didn't connect to it or the characters very well, it turned out to be a "meh" read for me.

While this book didn't leave much of an impression on me, I'm still going to give another one of this author's books a try. Hopefully I have much better luck with that one!


********************************************************

Count Dracula's Teenage Daughter 
by R. Barri Flowers

Goodreads Description: 
From R. Barri Flowers, the bestselling author of young adult novels, GHOST GIRL IN SHADOW BAY and DANGER IN TIME, comes the first book in an exciting new teen vampire series, COUNT DRACULA'S TEENAGE DAUGHTER: A Transylvanica High Novel.

Sixteen-year-old Kula Lockhart has been living in the town of Harbor Heights, Michigan for two months now, after moving there with her adopted mom from Cheyenne, Wyoming. She attends Transylvanica High School--one of several integrated pilot schools across the country where human and vampire students peacefully coexist.

Kula has no problem with the human-vampire bonding because she has always believed in equality among the living and the living dead. But she is caught completely off guard upon learning that she is the half human daughter of Count Dracula, leader of the oldest and most powerful vampire clan.

She soon discovers that there are some sworn to protect her and others out to get her.

Someone is killing vampires and Kula fears she may be on the hit list. Staying alive becomes a priority as she adjusts to her birthright. 

She also has a hot human boyfriend named Eriq. Will he accept her for who she is?

Fans of popular teen vampire, paranormal, and horror fiction series such as Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy, and Vampire Kisses will love COUNT DRACULA'S TEENAGE DAUGHTER

Source: I received a copy of this book for reviewing purposes in exchange for an honest review.

This book left no impact on me. It was a very quick read with very little development in the characters. The story was a bit dull and cliche. I didn't connect to either the book or the story, and there wasn't much to spark my interest. The book turned out to be a really quick read, as well as very forgettable one. 

********************************************************

My questions for you:

How much does a lack of connection affect your enjoyment of a book?
For what reasons do you write a mini review instead of a longer one?

2 comments:

  1. Out of the three I've only heard of the first book. That's too bad though because I had high hopes for it. Boring main characters can really bring a story down.

    Hope your next reads are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest problem I had with the first book was a lack of connection to it, so it may still work for you.

      Thankfully, my latest reads have gotten better!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.