Saturday, February 8, 2014

Review ~ Be with Me by J. Lynn

Series: Wait for You #2
Genre: NA contemporary
Pages: 384
Publication date: February 4th, 2014
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks (HarperCollins)
Goodreads Description: 
Teresa Hamilton is having a rough year—she’s in love with her big brother’s best friend, but he hasn’t spoken to her since they shared a truly amazing, mind-blowing, change-your-life kiss. She got out of a terrible relationship. And now an injury is threatening to end her dance career for good. It’s time for Plan B – college. And maybe a chance to convince Jase that what they have together is real.

Jase Winstead has a huge secret that he’s not telling anyone. Especially not his best friend’s incredibly beautiful sister. Even though he and Teresa shared the hottest kiss of his life, he knows that his responsibilities must take priority. He certainly doesn’t have time for a relationship. But it doesn’t help that all he can think about kissing the one girl who could ruin everything for him.

As they’re thrown together more and more, Jase and Tess can’t keep denying their feelings for each other. But a familiar danger looms and tragedy strikes. As the campus recovers, the star-crossed couple must decide what they’re willing to risk to be together, and what they’re willing to lose if they’re not… 
 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

Be With Me was
as I expecteda great book. The author has never disappointed me, and this one wasn't an exception. It was romantic, interesting, and a touch suspenseful. There was a great, sweet ending that made me feel warm and fuzzy. I loved mostly everything about the story, including the themes and the characters.

THEMES

This story is about finding the courage to reach out and grab that closure, to accept it and move on with life. It's also about truly being there for someone as they are struggling to reach that closure. Another theme is about plans: how dreams shatter, plans fail, but also how they can be replaced with other ones
plans that are oftentimes unexpected yet even better than the original ones. (I love finding good themes in books. It just makes me like reading the story more.)

JASE

Jase was amazing. There's no doubt about that. There was a moment, though, where I wanted to slap him in the face. I'm serious. He made me so upset! Despite some stupid decisions, he was always supportive and protective of Tess. The guy treated her well and looked after her when she needed someone there for her. I found him to be a well developed character.

ROMANCE

First of all, I did love Jase and Tess together. I sensed their connection right away and rooted for them throughout the entire book. However, I did have a problem with one area: the sexual content. There was so much of it in the book that sometimes, I felt like it overshadowed the rest of the story. It's not that I was bothered by it, really (I was expecting it), but it was repetitive at times. It seemed like almost every time the two were in the same scene, they did something
from simple kissing to way, way more. Romantic/sexual scenes don't affect my enjoyment of the book . . . up to a certain level. After that level, the scenes and interactions between the characters feel more like unnecessary fluff than substance. This book went past that level, and I just felt like there didn't need to be so many romantic scenes to prove to me that the characters had intense feelings for each other.

Though I personally prefer a cleaner novel, most NA fans won't be bothered by the romance at all. The couple was a really good one, and like I've already said, Jase was amazing. 

OVERALL

While I didn't like this book as much as Wait for You, I wasn't disappointed. Other than what I said about the romance, I liked everything about the story. If you're a fan of the New Adult genre and/or really liked the first book of the series, you may like Be with Me.

My question for you:

What are your thoughts on the New Adult genre?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for talking to me about this book on Twitter today. I just wanted to post so that you knew that I also read your review. :) Glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to try a NA book one of these days. It's not my usual cup of tea, but I'm trying to expand the genres I read from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always for every genre, even the ones that you're not very into. Good luck on finding an NA book that suits you. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks for your review Kaitlin. Sounds like there's HEAPS of sex in this that kind of overtook the rest of the book. Great review Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, it was still a good book! You're welcome, Jeann. :)

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I don't really like NA books because I feel as though that *that* is the main focus of the entire book and that they don't really have any developed themes (which is why I'm glad to see that this one has a theme since she's one of the writers I stalk ><)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't liked the NA genre very much lately--for the same reason as you, too. I just like a book with more substance.

      Delete
  4. I've never ventured that far out of the YA world so I'm not very sure of NA but I have read fanfiction before and I'm pretty sure it's much worse (if you know what I mean) I think when I'm a little older I'll try NA but I'm satisfied with sticking to the teen fiction at the moment. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I haven't read fanfiction, but I do have a feeling it's worse than NA in that area. There are definitely great books within NA, so I'm glad to hear you'll give it a try when you're a little older.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.