Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Review ~ Let the Storm Break by Shannon Messenger

Series: Sky Fall #2
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 400 (for kindle edition)
Publication date: March 4th, 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Goodreads Description: 
Whirlwind romance and breathtaking action continues in the sequel to Let the Sky Fall, which Becca Fitzpatrick called “charged and romantic.” 

Vane Weston is haunted. By the searing pull of his bond to Audra. By the lies he’s told to cover for her disappearance. By the treacherous winds that slip into his mind, trying to trap him in his worst nightmares. And as his enemies grow stronger, Vane doesn’t know how much longer he can last on his own.

But Audra’s still running. From her past. From the Gales. Even from Vane, who she doesn’t believe she deserves. And the farther she flees, the more danger she finds. She possesses the secret power her enemy craves, and protecting it might be more than she can handle—especially when she discovers Raiden’s newest weapon.

With the Gale Force weakened by recent attacks, and the power of four collapsing, Vane and Audra are forced to make a choice: keep trusting the failing winds, or turn to the people who’ve betrayed them before. But even if they survive the storms sent to destroy them, will they have anything left to hold on to? 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

First of all, if you loved Let the Sky Fall, you're really going to love this one because guess what? This book is even better! The things that I liked about the first book were still there and there were things I didn't care much for that were done so much better in this one.

I'll start with Vane. I didn't like him that much before, but now, I think he's an awesome character. He sure has grown. He grew a lot in book one, but in book two, he grew even more. He became more . . . mature. More determined. More responsible.

Audra, too, changed a lot in both books. She still had many things to work onof them being becoming more secure in her relationship with Vanebut she makes huge sacrifices in Let the Storm Break. I like her much more than I did before.

The wind tricks, the danger, the tricks--they made this book really cool to read. The things the windwalkers do . . . they're huge. There were bigger fights. There were badder characters (Raiden finally made an appearance). There were harsher twists. Speaking of . . . why do authors have to be so mean? There were some pretty painful twists towards the end, and one in particular is going to make the wait for the next book in the series torturous.

Overall, Let the Storm Break was a very good sequel. I felt like the characters were much better and the action was larger. I really liked how it endeda bit of a cliffhangerand the twists kept me engaged.

I definitely recommend reading this series if you haven't started it already. It's a very cool and different series, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment!

My questions for you:

What do you think of the cover?
Have you read the first book?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin! I saw your interview over on The Paper Sea, and since I'm also relatively new to the book blogosphere, I wanted to click over and say hello. I haven't read this series yet, but your review makes it sound really good! I'm always impressed when authors can avoid the sophomore slump in their trilogies. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I hope you love it here. :) Hopefully, you'll give this series a try. It's a good one!

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this book and how it deals with the weather, it reminds me of one of my favourite series (Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine). Great to hear the sequel is as good as the first book, I think it must be one of those underrated books out there.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Both the first book and this one deserves more attention that it's getting.

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'm really excited for Let the Storm Break because I loved the first one so much! I'm debating whether or not I should preorder it or not. I love the covers of both books though. I think they're super pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.