Thursday, March 20, 2014

Blogger Spotlight ~ Maura from The Whimsical Mama


Today, I am featuring Maura from The Whimsical Mama! 

About the Blogger

I blog at The Whimsical Mama (http://armywife2310.wordpress.com). I read just about anything I can get my hands on, but I review mostly YA with the occasional adult thrown in.


(I added a few responses to her answers in purple.)
Hi Maura!

First, describe your blog in three words.

Random, conversational, whimsical

What makes your blog worth reading?

I try to have a good balance of ARC and backlist reviews going. I like to showcase different genres and authors. I’m hoping to start having more giveaways so that’s always a good reason to come check it out! Who wants to turn down free books and swag?!

What blogging plans do you have for 2014?

I’ve actually been mulling around a few ideas. I focus mainly on YA with the occasional NA or Adult, but I’ve got a few things that are coming that other blogger mamas might enjoy. I hope to be able to go to more events this year and as a result have giveaways for more signed books. I also hope to be able to giveaway more books in general!

I need to keep an eye out for those then . . .

Are there any genres that you didn’t read much of in 2013, but would like to try more of this year?

I read one or two NA books, and I really think I’d like to give that more of a chance. It’s a good thing cause I have a few review and finished NA novels/novellas coming up in my TBR! (:

There are some really good NA books out there.

Who are three of your top book boyfriends?

Hmm…. this is a tough one.
Jack Force for sure. Jack is a yummy, slightly bad boy, vampire in Melissa de la Cruz’s Blue Bloods series.
Jem Carstairs. Oh yes. I love me some Jem. Jem is a Shadowhunter in Cassie Clare’s Infernal Devices trilogy (in case you haven’t read them!). He’s a musician too. I love musicians. (Obviously, as I married one!)
Oh man, this is hard…..
Dossam “Sam”. Yup. Mine. All mine. Another musician. He’s the swoony main male character in the New Soul/ Incarnate trilogy by the fantabulous Jodi Meadows

Good choices. I've met all three.☺

Who is one of the best authors you’ve discovered since blogging?

Eesh! So many new authors in a short time. I have to go with Rachel Harris though. I adore her as a person. She’s such a great friend! (: She’s also a very talented author and is definitely forever more on my read anything she writes list. Fo’ sho’!

I really like Rachel Harris too. She's so nice!

Besides reading and blogging, what do you like to do for fun?

I LOVE photography. I do photography professionally, but not very often. I hope to start doing more soon. I love taking photos of my kids. I take dozens of photos every day (or try to!) I also write. I’ve been working on this certain story since 2006. It’s gone through massive re-writes. I completely ditched everything and restarted in November during NaNoWriMo. I’ve written stories as long as I’ve known how to write and made up stories for as long as I’ve been able to talk. Ask my family lol. The biggest part of my free time is taken up with my kiddos. I’m a stay at home mama and I love it. Both kiddos are big into imaginative play and I love playing with them. They’re both big on mama reading to them too. I have books brought to me all the time. The toddler asks, the baby just hands me the book and gives me a look or chatters at me. (:

That's sounds so cute!

Now, time to gush about a book you love.
Pick one of your favorite books/series and answer the following questions about it.

What book is it and who is it by? 

Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz (Book 7 and finale in the Blue Bloods series)

Great series! I haven't completed it yet, though.

Why do you love it? 

Ah, so many reasons. I was so excited for the finale and also sad to see it end. So much action had been building it was amazing to see how it all came together. I could gush and gush more, but it would be chock full of SPOILERS! Let me explain it this way. Vampires. Long forgotten paths to Heaven. Love. Angst. Despair. Drama. Traveling the WORLD. It’s great.

Why did you pick the book up and read it in the first place? 

I’ll answer for the first book of this series for that one. The cover just grabbed me. It’s a close up of the bottom of a girl’s face and neck and on the neck are obvious vampire bites. It was an impulse buy. I devoured it and even got “in trouble” for reading it in class. I went back to Barnes and Noble the next day to get the second book and I’ve gotten almost every book on release day since then. I binge read the series start to finish even the extra books and the spinoff when Gates came out last January. I’m sad it’s over, BUT she has a new spinoff series coming out in SEPTEMBER. I’m so excited!

O_O I didn't know there was a spinoff series! I need to check this out.

Who is your favorite character from it and why? 

I love so many of them. If it came down to it, I’d pick Oliver “Ollie.” He’s the best friend. Loyal to a fault and super sweet. I have a huge crush on him. He’s adorable. His greatest desire is granted at the end of the book and it made me immensely happy. He’s also the star of the new series! (:

Oliver may be my favorite too.☺

Rate the cover on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = horrible, 10 = absolutely amazing) 

10. For sure. I think it’s absolutely GORGEOUS. I’ve loved all the covers. The design team at Disney Hyperion for the Blue Bloods series totally rocked it for 7 main books, 2 companions, and 1 spinoff. (Two spinoffs if you count Witches of East End! Those covers are amazing too!)

Thanks for letting me interview you. :) 

Thanks for having me! (:

********************************************************

8 comments:

  1. This makes me want to pick up the Blue Bloods series even though I am not the biggest fan of vampires My library has it and I've been eyeing it for a while now (the covers be extremely gorgeous).

    Great Interview, Ladies!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Bloods series is an old favorite of mine! I love it. :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed Blue Bloods too -- didn't know about the spin-off.
    Great interview!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to see you liked the series. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review Kaitlin and Maura, I'm just checking out Maura's blog now and it looks lovely. I have the Blue Blood books on my shelf but haven't read them yet, glad to hear all the praise about it!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been planning to read article 5 and Reboot for a long time now but hey just keep getting shifted downwards in my ever increasing pile of TBR Great interview!
    Rimsha@Ramblings of a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are really great books. :) Thank you!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.