Monday, March 17, 2014

Blogger Spotlight ~ Tanya from Book Loving Hippo


Today, I am featuring Tanya from Book Loving Hippo! 

About the Blogger
Hi! I'm Tanya, my blog bam is Book Loving Hippo and my URL is booklovinghippo.wordpress.com. I've only been blogging for 7 months and have loved every second of it. I love reading books and really love discovering new authors and reading different genres..

(I added a few responses to her answers in purple.)

Hi Tanya!

Hi Kaitlin

First, describe your blog in three words.

Varied, unique, “book-y” (you didn’t say they had to be REAL words 
)

No, I didn't.☺
What makes your blog worth reading?

I try to review different books and tell readers about the books and why they might be great reads. I review everything from Children’s books to Adult Fiction. I try to give readers a view into the book without spoiling it, which can be tough sometimes.

What are you currently reading?

Currently I have four books I am switching between (Yes I am crazy):

The Once and Future King by T.H. White
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Archived by Victoria Schwab

What is one of your favorite cover trends? Least favorite?


“Faces” has to be my favorite cover trend. I love how simple the cover looks with just a big head on the cover. My favorite covers have to be from Jodi Meadows’ Incarnate Series!


My least favorite are probably the illustrated covers. I don’t know why but I don’t like them. It might be because some of them look really childish.

Jodi Meadow's books are absolutely gorgeous! 

What is one of your biggish bookish pet peeves?
Books that don’t really have a conclusion (and aren’t part of a series). I hate it when you are really enjoying the book and the author just stops writing abruptly and there doesn’t seem to be an ending at all.

My other bookish pet peeve is lending my books out to people and then getting them back with bent covers and crumbs inside. I take the time and effort to make sure my books look nice and the person I lend the book to doesn’t even have the courtesy to keep the book looking good!

Yeah, bent covers are annoying. Thankfully, I don't encounter that often.

Who is one of the best authors you’ve discovered since blogging?

Jodi Meadows. Not only are her covers absolutely stunning, but her books are so good. I hadn’t heard of Jodi Meadows until Alexa from alexalovesbooks had a tweet about a Read-a-thon she was hosting for the series. I decided to give it a try and am now addicted. You definitely have to check out her books if you haven’t yet!

Jodi Meadows is such a nice author. I've read Incarnate, and I really liked it! I hope to read the other two soon.☺

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I wanted my blog name to be unique and kind of quirky (like me). I’ve been a dancer since I was 4 and have always loved it, but I definitely do not have the dancer body. I am 5’11’’ and am nowhere near petite. For the past 6 years I have been taking a ballet class and every year I participate in the year end show where we wear tutus. Every year when I first get my costume, I put it on to show my mom and every year I say “I look like a dancing Hippo”. I like the image of a hippo in a tutu and thought that a hippo in a tutu reading a book was kind of cute- it sums me up in 1 picture. That’s where the name Book Loving Hippo came from.

That's so cool!

What advice would you give to bloggers just starting out?

Be yourself and just blog about books you like and want to share with others. Don’t worry about not being accepted for ARCs or about all of the books that others are getting. Don’t panic when you only have 10 followers on twitter or on your blog while someone else has 600- everything comes with time. Just have fun with your blog and participate in read-a-thons, blog tours, etc. Meet others and share your love.

All of that definitely does come with time! That's great advice.

Now, time to gush about a book you love.
Pick one of your favorite books/series and answer the following questions about it.


What book is it and who is it by? 

Mommy Had a Little Flask by AK Turner

Why do you love it? 

It is such a hilarious book. I laughed the entire time I was reading it and didn’t want to put it down. She is completely honest in her book and pokes fun at herself. I think the best thing is, is that she doesn’t make herself into some perfect mother/wife/friend and so you feel like you can really connect with her.

It sure looks funny!

Why did you pick the book up and read it in the first place? 

I saw the author asking for some reviews on Goodreads and I thought the concept looked good so I figured I’d give it a try. I am so glad that I did!

Who is your favorite character from it and why? 

Amanda (the main character) because she makes the story. She is constantly questioning herself with everything she does, which just makes everything even funnier. And a character who likes alcohol is awesome in my books 

Rate the cover on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = horrible, 10 = absolutely amazing) 

9 (you can’t really go wrong with a flask and some crayons)

Thanks for letting me interview you. :)

It was my pleasure! Thanks for hosting me on your blog!
********************************************************

1 comment:

  1. *waves to Tonya* .... who I am already following on Bloglovin'

    I could use a flask about now. I may have to check that book out. And I agree with you. Unresolved endings are the worst. Authors, it is not the reader's job to make up an ending.....

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.