Monday, March 3, 2014

Review ~ Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

Series: Mind Games #2
Genre: YA thriller
Pages: 232
Publication date: February 18th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

Perfect Lies was a good read, but it wasn't as good as its predecessor.

A MISSING PIECE

I don't know what it was exactly, but there was something missing to this book—to the characters, to the plot, to the feel of the story in general. Just as Fia's instincts told her when something was wrong, mine were telling me that there was an important piece was missing from the book. Maybe it was mostly the plot. Most of the time, it didn't feel well developed. The whole conflict with Keane and the characters trying to take him down/hide from him/etc. was a bit fuzzy. The reasons WHY behind the conflict weren't dived into very much, so that part of the story didn't feel well done. Also, there was something off about many of the characters as well as the ending, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

ANNIE

At first, her POV felt bland. She just didn't feel like a very interesting character, and there wasn't much excitement happening on her side of the story. As I got further in the book, though, I steadily grew to love her POV—even more than Fia's. Honestly, part of that has to do with Cole. He was a great character! I loved his role in helping Annie become stronger.

FIA

Fia's POV was definitely interesting—borderline annoying, but still a very good one. She felt like the most developed part of the entire story. Fia had so so so many flaws, which made her very interesting to read about. The girl could barely hold herself together—between feeling guilty about killing people, keeping secrets from everyone, and protecting her sister, she had to deal with a lot. She was my favorite character.

OVERALL

Perfect Lies could've been better. It could've had that missing piece that I was looking for, but because it didn't, it didn't end the duology as strongly as it could have. However, like I said, the book wasn't bad. It was still and interesting read with a really cool layout (alternating POVs and past/present) and great main characters, and I do recommend it if you're interested in reading it.


My question for you:

Do you ever read a book that you didn't know what exactly the "missing piece" was?

4 comments:

  1. Ugh! I have read plenty of books that I wasn't sure what the missing piece was. I always struggle to review them because I feel like I am saying "Hi! This book had many great elements! Here they are. I didn't like this book though. Oh well."
    Great post, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that a lot when I got to write reviews, which is a bit frustrating. :( Thank you, Samantha!

      Delete
  2. Hah! I've had a lot of books like that. I've had some that I thought was kinda okay, but that there was something "missing", and I can't really find a word for it, or books that left me entertained but also made me feel empty for some reason. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, considering the novel in question was able to mask its flaws :))

    I'm glad you enjoyed Perfect Lies, however flawed it was. Hopefully you get your 5 star read soon!

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the book was able to mask those flaws. :) That makes up for the emptiness.

      I have read a five star read since Perfect Lies! (My review for this one wasn't posted immediately.) It was really nice to read something so good.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.