Sunday, March 30, 2014

Review ~ Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Throne of Glass #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 404
Publication date: August 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Goodreads Description: 
Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.


In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?
Source: purchased

How does one write a review of a book with a ton of hype? Hmm . . . Well, I'll give it a try.

Throne of Glass was such a good fantasy. It didn't turn out to befantastic but I think it deserves the hype it's received. 

From what I've heard of this series, I went into Throne of Glass expecting a) a seriously kickass heroine with a name I can't spell or pronounce, b) fantastic world building, and c) Chaol (and another guy in the love triangle, but Chaol was name I had recognized). What did I get? All three of those things and even more! 

CELAENA SARDOTHIEN

Celaena surprised me, actually. I knew she was supposed to be awesome, but I didn't expect her to be so FUNNY. I can't count how many times she made me laugh throughout the entire book. She was incredibly cocky, strong, arrogant, and vain. She loved clothes and books (when does a tough heroine ever love both of those things?) and could play the pinaforte. At the same time, though, the assassin had this really soft and caring side that made her character even better and more likable. Celaena was probably . . . one of the best heroines I've read about in awhile.

THE WORLD

I loved this world. I usually like the worlds in fantasy novels because they oftentimes have rich descriptions, a royalty system, some historical elements, weird names, cool clothes, and some sort of unique twist. Oh, and great romance (I love a fantasy with good romance). There's usually some conspiracies, secrets, and drama mixed in too. The world of Throne of Glasshad all of those, so it definitely disappoint. One of the things that stood out to me the most, though, was the fae/magic elements. Sure, there wasn't a ton of them (considering how magic had disappeared in the world), but I really liked what was there (like the Wyrd marks and Elena). 

The world building was pretty nice--it did leave me with quite a few questions, though. However, I have a feeling that much more of it will occur in Crown of Midnight, so it wasn't a bad thing that I had questions.

OTHER CHARACTERS

I haven't decided on which guy I want Celaena to be with more, yet: Dorian or Chaol. I'm leaning more towards Dorian, but there are qualities of Chaol that make me wish that he and Celaena will form a romantic relationship. Both are really good characters, though they're far from my favorite heroes. 

The most stand out characters of this book are the female ones, though. Sorry, guys . . . you haven't quite proved how amazing the two of you are yet. Celaena was an amazing heroine, and her best friend was pretty darn cool too. Nehemia was one of my favorite characters--she's a very strong and very loyal princess. I was so, so glad to see her and Celaena form a really good bond with one another. It was nice to see a great female friendship in this book.

OVERALL

I'm definitely glad I started this series! It was a really well written fantasy novel with a super awesome heroine. The biggest drawback was that it moved pretty slow for me--because of that, the book wasn't as good as it could've been. Other than that, though, the book lived up to the hype, and I can't wait to read the sequel and the novellas!



My question for you:

What makes a fantasy great?
What are a few of your favorite fantasies?

20 comments:

  1. This one has been on my TBR list for a while....(And it happens to be sitting on my bookshelf)
    I had been waiting until the 3rd book was released, but I might pick it up sooner now! I love how you said that she is tough and she likes clothes and books (super rare!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it sooner! I kept putting it off, and I'm glad that I finally read it. Yes, heroines like Celaena are really rare. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh now I definitely want to buy this book. I love kickass heroines! I think having well-developed characters, and also world building, are the necessary to having an amazing fantasy series/novel. I actually haven't read many adult fantasy books, but some of my favorite children's/YA fantasy include the Fairyland series, and also the Spirit Thief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the world building and well-developed characters. :) I haven't read many adult fantasies either (actually...I don't think I've ever read one), but I will someday!

      Delete
  3. I lOVED Throne of Glass for all the reasons you said. I just love Celaena (although have no idea how to pronounce the names) with her cocky attitude and I just love all the characters. The world was brilliant and I could just imagine it all in my mind really well. All I can say is I love this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad that I finally read this book!

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked it! I bought it last month and I'm dying to read it soon! I can't resist a female kickass protagonist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't either! They keep a book interesting. I hope you like the book!

      Delete
  5. You mean I'm not the only one who hasn't read this series? :) I put The Assassin's Blade on hold at my library. I figured I'll start with the novellas and go from there. I just finished A Dance With Dragons so I need a little bit of a fantasy break but A Song Of Fire & Ice series is worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a really good idea to go with The Assassin's Blade first. :) I really hope you enjoy the novellas! I really want to read A Song of Fire & Ice series (I need to get into more fantasy series).

      Delete
  6. I still haven't read this one yet :( I know I know, I should really change that soon. I love assassin-themed books, so I'm sure I will fall in love with it easily. Glad to know you approve of it too. Nice review Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love assassin themed books too, now that I think about it. They're just really interesting. Thank you, Angel!

      Delete
  7. I love this series!! Glad you're finally reading it :) And I'm definitely Team Chaol ;) Will be interesting to see what you think of both guys after Crown of Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot people are Team Chaol after reading Crown of Midnight . . . that makes me curious about what happens in the book. I'm glad I'm finally reading this series too!

      Delete
  8. I didn't like this book. The book was too predictable for me and there are some things that I thought just didn't make sense at all. Even though I didn't like it, I could see why a lot of other readers liked it. Despite my dislike of this book, I am reading the second book and so far I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're liking the second book! Maybe the series will continue to get better for you?

      Delete
  9. I agree to EVERYTHING you said Kaitlin. Celaena is awesome - but personally I prefer Sam over Dorian/Chaol. :'( You'll understand once you read Assassin's Blade! Crown of Midnight is a lot better than the first book, so I hope you love it!

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I will prefer Sam too . . . I'm really looking forward to reading the novellas and the sequel. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh how amazing, if you were already liking this book you will LOVE Crown of Midnight. I'm glad it lived up to the hype for you! I really do love Celaena, she's a really charming and kickass character that undergoes immense character development throughout the series, even the novellas. It's hard to ship a man for her isn't it? Lovely review Kaitlin!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, then I'll need to read Crown of Midnight too! I've gotten the impression that it's a really good sequel. It is hard to ship someone for Celaena. He needs to really awesome to be a good match for her. Thank you!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.