Friday, March 28, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (16) ~ Used Bookstore Trips & Edelweiss Downloads

This is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews where we share what books we have recently added to our physical or virtual shelves.

My last Stacking the Shelves was from March 14th, so here are all the books I've added to my bookshelves since then.
~~~
Once upon a time (well, last Saturday), I thought "I'm may finally have a small haul for my STS post next week." I thought too soon, as you'll be able to tell from this post. I had a very bookish two weeks . . .
~~~
Free on Amazon
Counting to D by Kate Scott
Silence by Natasha Preston
The Subtle Beauty by Ann Hunter

I got Counting to D because someone tweeted about it. I'm not sure why I got the other two . . . they were free, so it didn't hurt to get them!

Bought for Kindle
Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer
See Me by Wendy Higgins

Yes. Finally. Ever since I read Storm last year, I've been wanting to get my hands on the sequel. Now I have my hands on two sequels! They were both on sale. :) As for See Me, I couldn't not get it. I needed it.

New Print Books
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (I've read this one! I just didn't have a copy until now.)
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (I've read this one too! It's a favorite of mine.)
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
Emma by Jane Austen
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton
Unhinged by A.G. Howard (signed copy!)

Let me explain the big pile of books. My mom and I went to a few local (ish) used bookstores to check them out, and as you can tell . . . they were really good stores. The top three cost $9.50 altogether and were from the second store we stopped by. The rest were $1 a piece ($8 total) and were from this little used bookstore/thrift shop called "Olive the Above." (The funny thing about that store is that we expected it to be local, but ended up driving all the way to the next county to get to it. It was so worth it, though!)

Yes, I bought two copies of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I bought one to donate to my library because both hardcovers look barely read at all. And did I mention that they were only $1 each? There's no way I wasn't going to get both!

For Review
In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo
My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal (I made it on the blog tour!!)
A sneak peek of What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick (not shown)
In a Handful of Dust by Mindy McGinnis 
Rites of Passage Joy N. Hensley
The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan
Kiss of Broken Glass Madeleine Kuderick
Feral by Holly Schindler
Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson

Yep. That's almost all the YA books Harper added to Edelweiss on Thursday. I know, I have zero self control . . . but I know I can read all of them. :)

Thank you to Scholastic Press, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Penguin Young Readers Group (Dial), Netgalley, HarperTeen, Balzer + Bray, Katherine Tegen Books, Greenwillow Books, and Edelweiss for the e-arcs!
Won
The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz

Thank you to Hafsah from IceyBooks! I'm so excited to read this one!

Library
Nothing

So much for that small haul, huh?

What did you get this week? 

26 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome haul! Those bookstores sound awesome! And you have a ton of great e-arcs too! Happy reading! :D


    My Stacking The Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bookstores were definitely awesome. I had a fun time in them. :)

      Delete
  2. So much lovely! I don't even know where to start. I loved The Ring and the Crown! So glad you got a copy - you'll love it! I LOVED Some Quiet Place so much. I have Where Silence Gathers but I'm holding off reading it until closer to the release date :o I have Unhinged, Poisoned Apples, and In a Handful of Dust for review, and an ARC of The Last Kiss - but I haven't read any of them O_O Darn these April/May 2014 review books lol. Hope you enjoy all of your new books, Kaitlin!

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved The Ring and the Crown! It's so nice to hear great things about books I just got. I also have Where Silence Gathers--it was the whole reason why I bought Some Quiet Place. Yes, darn these April/May review books! There are so many of them. :D I hope I do enjoy the books. :)

      Thanks! You too!

      Delete
  3. Great books for you this week! The Ring and Crown was a good read. Jodi Picoult is an amazing author. I love her writing. ! I hope you enjoy your new books!!
    Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog
    My STS: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/stacking-shelves_29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you liked The Ring and the Crown. I've heard so much about Jodi Picoult! She's such a well known one, and I really hope that I like her books too. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Wow, heaps of awesome books for you this week! I really want to read The Ring and the Crown, congrats on winning it. You are so lovely for buying a book to donate to your local library. I really adored A Thousand Splendid Suns. Used book stores are the best, but I LOVE your hardcover of Some Quiet Day!

    Here's my stack this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Khaled Hosseini is one of the most popular authors among my classmates, so A Thousand Splendid Suns is the perfect book to donate. :) If it's anywhere near as good as The Kite Runner, I'll adore it too.

      Some Quiet Place is actually a paperback! But it does look like a hardcover in the photo, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Awesome haul! I see so many that I can't wait to read! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I enjoy them too. :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns! I've been looking out for them at Half Price Book, can't believe you got them for $1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I spotted the two copies of A Thousand Splendid Suns, I almost couldn't believe it. It was probably the best deal I've ever gotten on a book.

      Delete
  7. Ooooh, my GOSH. The awesome here is making me drool! The Ring and the Crown?! WANT. And...oh you have The Dolls. I've heard literally nothing about that, but I so want to read it! I just reviewed Unhinged last week and omg, can Morpheus get any more awesome? I'm dying until Ensnared comes out. :) My StS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover for The Dolls! That alone was enough to get me interested in the book. I sadly have not met Morpheus yet. I hope to read Splintered and Unhinged over the summer, though!

      Delete
  8. Poisoned Apples, Don't Touch, and The Dolls all look great, and I'm so jealous of that Unhinged copy. Enjoy them all :) My STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unhinged is gorgeous, huh? I couldn't resist buying it. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! I wish I had more used bookstores where I live. Then again...maybe it's a good thing there's not; I'd be spending all my money there! So jealous that you got a copy of In the Shadows! Can't wait to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I don't visit used bookstores very often--I would be spending a lot of money there too. In the Shadows looks like a really cool read, so that's a good one to be excited for. :)

      Delete
  10. I wanted to request for Counting D, but the cover design is just not for me :(

    http://www.lite-rate-ture.com/2014/03/stacking-the-shelves-march-edition/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the cover design either. It looks good, though!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow! Amazing books. I wouldn't know where to start! I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't quite know where to start, either.

      Delete
  12. Great haul! I can't even go look at Edelweiss until I read some of the review books I already have though. I hope you enjoy all your new books. Come see what I added this week at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get to look at Edelweiss soon. A lot of great looking ones have been added recently. :)

      Delete
  13. Nice haul! I love Jodi Picoult, she writes some fantastic books. I can't wait to read My Last Kiss, it looks so good. I hope you enjoy your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I love Jodi Picoult's books too. I can't wait to read My Last Kiss either. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.