Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thoughts on . . . Giving One-Star Ratings

If you are familiar with this blog, you may know that I rarely ever give out one star ratings. I've only given out four--one for a super short, free story I read before I started blogging, two for review copies I read after I had been blogging for awhile, and one for a review copy I just read today.

ONLY FOUR BOOKS.

I feel like I give a lot less one stars than most other bloggers (which isn't a bad thing because that means most books I read are pretty good), and that seems to be because it takes a lot to make me not like a book.

Qualifications For a One Star
Here are the usual qualifications. If a book meets most or all of them, I give it a one star.
  1. The book makes little impact to no impact on me. 
  2. I don't connect to the story, the characters, or the emotions felt. 
  3. The book is short with rushed scenes and little development (usually). 
  4. I feel a little detached from the book and can read it really quickly.
  5. I feel very little emotion about the story I just read (if a book can make me feel emotions--happiness, sadness, even anger--I take that as a good sign).
  6. Little of the book's potential (if it has a lot) is met. 
  7. I can come up with almost nothing to say about the book or the story.
  8. I can't (or barely can) come up with a reason to recommend the book.
Why Books Rarely Ever Meet the Above Qualifications
  1. I can usually find a reason to like every book I read.
  2. I'm not a picky reader--I don't get annoyed with tropes, characters, plots, romance, etc. as much as others seem to get.
  3. It takes a lot for a book to meet the qualifications for a one star read. A book needs to seem like completely or near pointless to spend my time reading.
  4. If I hate a book or don't like it very much, I usually move on to another one.
Now that you know why I don't give many one-star ratings, it's your turn! 

Why are your qualifications for a one-star rating? Do you give one-star ratings, often?

13 comments:

  1. I've done it quite a bit. I pretty much finish every book I read even if it takes me a month. There is probably less than 10 books that I can say I DNF. And that is from all my years of reading. Most of the books that I had to force myself to finish reading ended up with one star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the books I force myself to read still end up not-so-bad, so they're usually get 2-3 stars. That doesn't happen very often, though.

      Delete
  2. For me, a one-star rating is a book I hated so much I DNFd. If I was able to at least read until the end, but still didn't like it, then it'd be a two-star.

    I don't tend to have a lot of one-star, or even two-star ratings because, like you I know what I like. I'll know if a book sounds like my cup of tea and it's so rare for me to read something I was excited about and then HATE it. I may give it an average 'meh' three-stars, but it's rare for it to disappoint to DNF levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually give books that I pushed myself to read a lower rating, too. If I can finish a book, something about it must make it good enough to finish (with some exceptions).

      Delete
  3. Giving a 1 star rating is really hard, like you said there's lots of things in consideration and you would have to hate it. I've hated some books before and given them 2 stars because well, they weren't THAT bad considering.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Even if I hate a book, I can usually find something good about it.

      Delete
  4. I would say I also rate my books relatively high! My average on goodreads is 3.75 or sth, which I think is rather high. But I don't feel ba about it or anything... Like you said, I tend to like sth in each book I read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's 3.67, and I like it. :) A higher average means we've enjoyed the books we're reading!

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I think I give a few more '1 stars' than you, but it looks like I get a little more bothered by things faster than you might. I base it truly on enjoyment level. If when asked about it, I can at least say, "It's okay" then it gets 2 stars. If I can't even say that, and I struggled to finish it because I was disliking the experience so much, then a 1 star is fair to me. It's only my enjoyment I'm rating, not really the book or other people's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ratings are mostly based on enjoyment as well. I just tend to enjoy something about each book I read (with a few exceptions).

      Delete
  6. I don't really give a lot of one-star ratings, and like you said, I can also usually find some reason why I liked the book. For the books that meet the qualifications you mentioned, I just stick them with a two-star rating if there were other parts that I liked.

    The only books that I really give one-star ratings to are books that actively made me angry instead of just boring me. If the protagonist is a spineless thing that never gets any development and the plot is basically "oh look at them, poor thing, never able to do anything, the end," I will be so angry. If I can't connect with them AND their actions just piss me off, it gets a one-star.

    Very interesting topic, Kaitlin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't finish a book if it makes me angry enough. If I end up finishing it, that means there's something redeemable about it and I end up giving it two or more stars. Thank you, Ana!

      Delete
  7. I don't give many 1-star ratings either, but this month I've had three so far. Such bad luck!

    Normally I reserve 1-stars for books that seriously anger me in someway. This is most likely when the MC is just super horrible and I can't find anything to like about them and therefore can't care about what happens. It's also common for books where the world building sucks. I love world building, so if I can't understand the world because we're not told anything about it other than random words that aren't defined, that is a HUGE problem. My most recent two were this latter case.

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.