Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Review ~ Beloved Enemy by Lacy Yager

Series: Unholy Alliance #4
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 147
Publication date: April 1st, 2014
Publisher: Lacy Williams Books
Goodreads Description: 
She's the unlikeliest vampire hunter ever. A scientist.

Seventeen-year-old science prodigy Genevieve Quinn never thought she would be kidnapped from her college campus by a vampire. Or that said vampire would want her help on a science project. Genevieve has no intention of complying, but when an escape attempt turns deadly, it is a vampire that comes to her rescue.

Vampire Chad Matthews is an atypical specimen. He’s good-looking, in a dangerous kind of way. But that’s not what attracts Genevieve… it’s the shadows behind his eyes. As Genevieve and Chad team up to find a way to defeat a monster even worse than killer vampires, she discovers that not everything can be explained by science—like falling in love.

This novella (30k words) is book four in the Unholy Alliance series. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Beloved Enemy was a pretty decent read! Neither it nor Shadow Allegiance (I haven't read Rival yet) were as good as the first book, but I feel like this one was one more step towards being as good as Unholy Alliance.

ROMANCE

I sensed a connection between Chad and Genevieve right away--they were the kind of opposites (vampire and human) that just fit well together. I've been craving a romantic book, and the romance was good enough to make me happy. The only problem, though, was that it progressed a bit too quickly. There could've been a lot more development in their relationship.

STORY

In Shadow Allegiance, I didn't see much story--it was mostly focused on the featured couple. In this case, there was a little bit more to the story. Genevieve's experiments were a big focus, and I liked seeing more about the world of vampires and warlocks that are part of this series.

CHARACTERS

Chad was a funny hero with a lot of insecurities. He had a bum knee, and even though it didn't hinder him that much, he still thought it slowed him down to the point where he couldn't protect people. He didn't see himself as a good guy for Genevieve for awhile, but he saw some character growth as he grew closer to her.

Genevieve was a really good character. I liked her in Shadow Allegiance and wanted more of her story, and I'm happy I got it! She had a lot of insecurities as well, but was a lot stronger than she thought she was. She also grew as a character as she and Chad grew closer together, and I really liked seeing how beneficial they were to each other. 

OVERALL

Beloved Enemy was a decent, quick read that I was in the mood for. It wasn't a "wow" novella, but I really liked the romance and the character growth. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!



My question for you:

Do you like to read novellas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.