Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Thursday Thoughts ~ Sad Books Make Me Really Sad

Thursday Thoughts is a new feature that Ashley at Ok, Let's Read has created. It's basically a weekly discussion feature on certain topics. You may find more details and a list of future topics here.)
"Each week I will post a new, conversational post talking about a specific, book-related topic. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to join! The whole point of Thursday Thoughts is to hear different points of view and opinions, otherwise I would have just kept it for myself! All I ask is that you put a link to Ok, Let's Read somewhere on your post so that other's can join in if they would like. In addition to that, each week my post will have a Linky widget on the bottom so that we can all link up, read each other's posts and hopefully spark some quality conversation!"
This week's topic:
April 10: Sad Reads - If you know a book is sad does it make you want to read it, deter you from reading it or not effect you at all? Do you enjoy sad books? Are you someone who cries easily at books? What books have you read that made you cry?
If you know a book is sad does it make you want to read it, deter you from reading it or not effect you at all?

Knowing that a book will make me sad makes me want to read it, but it also makes me reluctant to actually do so. I love sad books (because any book that makes me emotional is good in some way), but they're hard for me to start. So the book ends up sitting on my bookshelf/kindle for awhile while I gather up some courage to start it.

Books I'm still pushing off because I know they'll make me sad:

Are you someone who cries easily at books?

Oh yeah. I'm not much of a crier in general, but when it comes to books (and movies), I get really emotional. Mostly it's because I'm heartbroken over a character's death, but there are times when a break-up or some other scene just makes me really, really sad (this happened in Siege and Storm). 

What books have you read that made you cry?

Here are a handful that I know that made me cry:



The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth probably made me cry the most. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is the least obvious tearjerker, but it was absolutely devastating. The Sweet Far Thing was also devastating, but I think it made me cry a little less. 

Now it's your turn! How would you answer some of these questions?

13 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars, the Book Thief, and Still Alice have made me bawl. I don't exactly avoid sad books, but I just haven't read as many, either that or I'm heartless. However I will be reading Code Name Verity in the future, and I heard that was veryyyy emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Code Name Verity on my bookshelf. I bet I would cry while reading that one . . . I know a lot of people that don't get very sad while reading books, so I wouldn't consider you heartless if you didn't get that sad.

      Delete
  2. Some sad books, like Butter, do scare me off. If I know its gonna be sad (well, in Butter's case, MORBID), then I might not read it. I don't usually cry because of books unless a main character or their family dies, then... I bawl. (ie. Allegiant)
    Cool Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when a main character dies. :'( It's so sad!

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited to read Maybe One Day. Just by the title and book cover, it looks like a very sad and emotional read. TFIOS didn't made me cry, but it was so sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFIOS was definitely one of the saddest books I've ever read. It really pulled at my heartstrings. Maybe One Day was a very emotional read, and I've heard a lot of people have cried while reading that one.

      Delete
  4. I'm kind of jealous that you cry a lot while reading! Sometimes I wish I could say the same - I felt so heartless when I didn't start sobbing while reading The Book Thief, The Fault in Our Stars, Code Name Verity, etc. Occasionally I'll get a few tears in my eyes, but that's about it. I do turn into an emotional wreck on the inside, though, and I love reading sad books. I'm very masochistic that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I love reading sad sad books as well. But then the watergates open... and I die. On the inside. But everyone witnessing my breakdowns says I could just as well have witnessed the death of my firstborn. So maybe not crying and going down in heart-wrenching sobs is a good thing.

      Delete
    2. I love reading sad books too. Their stories tend to linger with me a long time after I've finished them.

      Delete
  5. Oh god, please don't get me started on Allegiant! I knew what the ending was going to be before I started reading the series (damn you BFTTFE, damn you!) and it didn't help me at all. I was sobbing like never before all through the last 100 pages! And I knew it was going to happen. I knew it. So why did I cry so hard and so much? I had never cried like this before. I still cringe every time I think about it. So unfair. So... useless. Ugh. You have to read it, though. And soon! Despite everything that is wrong with that book there are so many more things that are good. But, oh, my poor heart still aches when I think about it. I even cried at the family breakfast table the next day. Me, a 21-year-old law student. Crying. At my parents breakfast table. Over a book. Can you imagine? Well, my father certainly couldn't. Everyone thought I was crazy. But they simply didn't understand the feels! Oh, the fells...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to read the book over the summer. I'll just need to prepare myself for the tears and heartbreak. I'm glad you still liked the book, even though there are bad parts to it.

      Delete
  6. Don't push off Allegiant! Go read it, it's a love or hate story...

    I don't cry at books or movies much. I used to when I was like eight, but since then I have toughened up. I didn't even shed a tear over the Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid suns. But I do like sad stories. I take a while after them which I think is what I like to call my emotional healing... aka: I am thinking about what happened and I let it sink it. Like a death, I think about why it happened and how it happened and how it would feel if it happened to me as in me being the one who was hurt or me being the one mourning for their death and though it makes me sad inside I'm just thinking and empathizing and yeah.. I can't move on to a new book for like a day or two because I'm having my emotional healing. xD

    The one that took the longest for me to get over was A Child Called it. It shocked me and saddened me to something horror-stricken and what was all the more terrible about it was that it was a true story. Go read it. It will tear you to pieces.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/how-to-write-poem.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the effect a sad story can have! If a book makes me need some emotional healing after reading it, it was well worth reading.

      I think I have A Child Called It. My mom bought it a long time ago and told me about it. I have no doubt it will tear me to pieces. :(

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.