Friday, May 23, 2014

Author Spotlight ~ Jenny Kaczorowski (The Art of Falling)


Today, I'm spotlighting Jenny Kaczorowski! I've gotten the opportunity to interview her about The Art of Falling and her writing. Along with that, there's a teaser that Jenny would like to share. I hope you love both!

********************************************************
About The Art of Falling
********************************************************
Genre: YA contemporary
Publication date: December 19th, 2014
Publisher: Boomsbury Spark

Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble


Goodreads Description:


For seventeen-year-old Bria Hale, image is everything. She’s a militant vegan with purple hair, Doc Martens and a permanent scowl. Kissing captain of the football team Ben Harris? Definitely not part of that image.

Now with each secret kiss, she’s falling deeper for the boy every girl at Oceanside High is crushing on. Throw in a few forbidden bacon cheeseburgers and she’s facing one major identity crisis. 


Ignoring Ben should be easy, but when a flashy display of artistic spirit lands her in close quarters after hours with the boy she’s too cool to like, she can’t keep pretending those kisses meant nothing. With her reputation and her heart on a collision course, Bria must either be true to herself or to the persona she’s spent all of high school creating.
********************************************************
Read a teaser for the book!
********************************************************
At last, the road turned into a cul-de-sac ringed by an open park. Bria slowed, huffing and wobbling on legs made of Jell-O. 

“Enough?” she asked.

Ben nodded and sat down - hard - on the grass. He slowly stretched out his leg, pulling his calf straight. His whole face twisted, turning Bria’s stomach with it. 

“Are you okay? Did you push too hard?”

“Nothing a good stretch won’t fix.” His eyes locked on hers. “You want to help?”

Her stomach did a whole different set of acrobatics, but she kept her face straight. “You’d like that, wouldn’t you?”

“Maybe.” A sly smile caught his lips. “No pain, no gain, right?”

Bria rolled her eyes. “That, right there, is why sports are stupid. Pain is your body’s way of saying something is wrong. Lame clich├ęs aren’t going to change that.”

He produced a water bottle from the fuel belt at his waist. “Creativity isn’t exactly my strong suit.”

“Oh, no?” She settled beside him. “I hear your creativity is one of the things that makes you such a great quarterback.”

“But that’s different, isn’t it?”

She stole a sideways glance and accepted the outstretched water bottle. “They’re both frivolous, right? Art and sports? No one needs them in the sense that they need air or food.”

He looked out at the street, his body loose but a line forming between his eyes. “Is that what you think about me and what I do? That I abuse my body for nothing?”

“Isn’t it?” She handed back the remaining water, vowing to bring her own next time.

“I push myself because I know I can do better,” Ben said. “When I run or make a pass and my whole body works together, that’s the thing that makes me feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be. Like I was created for that moment, you know?”

She rested her head against his shoulder. “I actually do.”

A few minutes of gentle silence passed while the world below woke to a blue, cloudless Saturday. Cars passed and dogs barked, scurrying out for morning walks.

“So I guess the moral,” Ben said, his voice hushed and deep and shiver-inducing. “Is that me and you are more alike than you thought.”

The warmth spreading through her veins coursed toward her fingertips and she ached to grab his hand and tangle her fingers with his and –

She twisted and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. “Except I know the difference between me and I.” 
********************************************************
Hi Jenny!
First of all, how are you?

Good, thank you for asking! It's been a crazy month for me with not enough writing, but I'm finally back to my work-in-progress!

How did it feel when your first book got published?


I cried. A couple times. There's something so incredible about writing something that impact another person's life. There were a lot of nerves and panic before my release, but once it was out, it felt really good to know that my book would go on to live in my reader's heads. 

In which ways do you think your readers can relate to The Art of Falling?

I think everyone struggles with identity and that is really what this story is about. Who we are, who we think we are, who we think other people think we are. It takes a lot of courage to truly be yourself. 

What was the toughest part of writing The Art of Falling?

Before The Art of Falling, I wrote fantasy, so it was a huge challenge to build conflict without tossing a supernatural baddie into the mix! Switching genres made me rethink my entire writing process and helped me find my voice. 

I've noticed that you’re working on two projects at the moment. Can you tell me a little about how each one is going?

I am working on two follow ups to The Art of Falling, set at the same high school and following the same circle of friends. Neither one is finished, finished, but I'm excite to see where they'll go!

The Trick to Landing is about Summer, a semi-pro skateboard who relocates to Oceanside after a DUI. While making amends for her past and rebuilding her skateboarding career, she falls for Bastian, a boy hoping for a future beyond he bleeding disorder that defines his life. 

The Rhythm of Breathing follows Abby, Bria from Falling's best friend. After helping both Bria and Summer find love, it should be her turn, but instead, she's nursing the wounds of a nasty break up and planning her escape to London for college. At least until she meets Jackie, a drummer with a heart of gold and a dark past.

Where have you found the most support in your writing career?

My critique partners! I started my path to publication by entering a couple of pitch contests and through those, I found other writers with interesting stories and we exchanged manuscripts. Over the years, we've built relationships and share the ups and downs of the publishing world. It's so valuable to have other writers to encourage you.

What advice do you have for writers looking to get published?

Keep writing! The Art of Falling is my fifth finished manuscript, two of which have never been fit for other eyes, one of which is queried very hard, and other that might be fixable someday. What I've learned is how much I still have to learn. My craft continues to improve and I have more confidence in the stories I want to tell. That only happens with practice. So keep writing, keep polishing, keep moving forward.

Thank you for answering my questions!


Thank you so much for having me!
********************************************************
Raised in Avon, Ohio, the duct tape capital of the world, Jenny began her writing career as a featured columnist for her hometown newspaper. After earning a degree in photojournalism from Kent State University, she vowed to never spend another winter in Ohio and moved to Los Angeles, where there is far too much sunshine.

Amid working as a grant writer for Sound Art, a non-profit that teaches music in inner-city neighborhoods, and raising two kids, Jenny decided to do something with all the snippets of stories she wrote during microeconomics and began writing for young adults. She likes her heroines smart and quirky, her heroes nice, and her kisses sweet. Her debut, THE ART OF FALLING, is coming from Bloomsbury Spark December 19, 2013.


Apart from writing, Jenny is still an avid photographer, loves music despite no discernable musical talent and reads the dictionary for fun. She lives near Los Angeles with her husband, son and daughter. The four of them are always looking for their adventure.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! THERE ARE COMPANION NOVELS TO THE ART OF FALLING?! HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! And they both sound so awesome too! *scrambles to add the books on GR* THEY'RE NOT ON GOODREADS?! WHAT SORCERY IS THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There shall be more info on companion books soon ;)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.