Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review ~ The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

Series: standalone 
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 384
Publication date: May 20th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 

Soccer star Lainey Mitchell is used to getting what she wants, and when her boyfriend Jason breaks up with her for no reason, what she wants is to win him back before the start of their senior year. Lainey and her friend Bianca check the interwebz for tips and tricks, but the online dating advice is all pretty lame. 

Then the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. Didn't someone once say that love is a battlefield? Jason isn't going to stand a chance once Lainey and Bee go all Zhou Dynasty on him... 

Old school strategy and subterfuge meet modern-day dramarama in the story of a girl who sets out to win at all costs and ends up discovering what's really worth fighting for.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

I. Love. This. Book.


I haven't read this good of a lighter YA contemporary in a very long time, so reading this reminded me why I absolutely adore stories like it. There was an addictive quality of The Art of Lainey that pulled me into the story so much that I just could not put it down (well, I eventually had to because of school, but man, it was tough to tear myself away). It was an incredibly funny and sweet book that made my heart happy and left this big grin on my face. Reading this book . . . it just felt really good.

I'm going to do something different with this review. Because I can go on and on about why this book is amazing, I'm just going to give you 18 reasons why I loved it and why you must read it!

1. It only took me one chapter to realize that I would love reading it. It left that good of an impressionand guess what? The book just got better!

2. There is amazing character growth. Lainey changes so much, and it's incredible to see how much she grows.

3. The romance.☺ This was a romance done right. It's SO GOOD. Plus, it's a relationship that starts off fake, which I have a really bad weakness for.

4. There's a focus on friendships. I loved seeing this element! It just made the book even better than it already was.

5. Micah. He's funny and sweet. He's really good to his family. He's not the typical love interest. Oh, and he has a mohawk. Need I say more?

6. Bianca. She's an incredible friendone that many readers would appreciate seeing in the story.

7. The book is well-written.

8. Family plays a role. It isn't a huge one, but parents and siblings have a nice presence.

9. There are many laugh-out-loud moments (especially in the beginning).

10. Lainey is a relatable heroine.

11. I spotted some diversity! It's not a ton, but it's there.

12. The Art of War is a creative twist that I loved.

13. There is a concert scene where a song titled "Wake Up Dreaming" is played. That moment . . . it wowed me. It was probably my favorite part of the entire book.

14. I mentioned this already, but this book made me feel so good. I felt content while reading it.

15. This contemporary is a stand-out. Sure, it's a lighter contemporary, but it's a very memorable one.

16. Most of the characters are passionate about something, and I really liked seeing that. For Lainey, it was soccer.

17. I don't have a single negative thing to say about the book. Not a thing.

18. I'm not the only one who loves this book so much! There are many other readers who highly recommend this as well.

Overall, The Art of Lainey wowed me. It's easily one of my favorite reads of 2014 so far, and I can't recommend it enough! It's an absolute must read for fans of YA contemporarynot only that, it's a great read for those reluctant to read the genre. You don't want to miss out on this one!

My question for you:

What was the last book that made you feel really good while reading it?

8 comments:

  1. It's so weird I haven't heard of this book before. At first, reading the summary I thought I wouldn't like but your such high praise has gotten me interested. The last book I read that made me feel good was definitely Split Second...which I finished last night haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I wasn't super excited about reading this one. Other people's excitement was contagious, so I decided to pick it up. I was surprised that I loved it so much!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to see you liked this Kaitlin! :D
    I am going to be picking it up soon and all the wonderful things I've heard about it is getting me all excited!

    FABULOUS review!! :D

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESHHHHHHHH. I ADORE this book and Paula is just awesome. <3 This book is seriously just one of the cutest contemporaries ever!! :D GLAD YOU LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is awesome. :) I'm glad I love it too!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I could tell how much you loved it. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It's on my summer TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope you read this one soon. It's so good!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.