Monday, May 12, 2014

Review ~ Royally Lost by Angie Stanton

Series: standalone (?)
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 336
Publication date: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
Dragged on a family trip to Europe’s ancient cities, Becca wants nothing more than to go home. Trapped with her emotionally distant father, over-eager stepmother, and a brother who only wants to hook up with European hotties, Becca is miserable. That is until she meets Nikolai, a guy as mysterious as he is handsome. And she unknowingly finds herself with a runaway prince.

Nikolai has everything a guy could ask for-he's crown prince, heir to the throne, and girls adore him. But the one thing he doesn't have...is freedom. Staging a coup, he flees his kingdom and goes undercover on his own European tour.

When Nikolai and Becca meet, it’s their differences that draw them together. Sparks fly as they share a whirlwind of adventures, all the while dodging his royal guard. But Becca's family vacation ends in a matter of days. Will Nikolai and Becca be forced to say goodbye forever, will his destiny catch up to him, or will they change history forever?
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

I wish I had liked Royally Lost more, but unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan of it. As I was reaching the end of the book, I was more excited for it to end than for what was happening in the story. 

A LACK OF CHEMISTRY

The main issue I had was the lack of chemistry between Nikolai and Becca. Their feelings for one another just didn't come across as strongly as they should've. An American tourist and a prince meet and fall in love. It should be romantic, right?

Well, despite all the time they spent together and all the kissing they did, I wasn't pulled into their story, and I wasn't rooting for the couple that much.

A CORNY FEEL

Without the romance (a key element in this book) being all that great, the book felt corny. It felt a bit forced
a bit like a badly acted romantic comedy. I don't care much for books with that kind of feel.

OVERALL

I'm glad Royally Lost was a quick read. My interest level in the story was low. The only things I really liked were some of the themes and the personalities of the MCs' siblings. I also didn't mind the concept of the story
it was very cutebut it wasn't executed well. 

I really enjoyed Angie Stanton's Rock and a Hard Place, and I'm disappointed to say that Royally Lost wasn't as good.

10 comments:

  1. It seems you're not the only who didn't like this. At first I really wanted to read this because the plot sounded like a cute, contemporary read but I'm disappointed with the amount of negative reviews. It sucks the romance wasn't done that well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad whenever romance isn't done well. :( I didn't realize there were so many negative reviews until after I read it! Sad thing is, I'm not surprised...

      Delete
  2. Sounds kind of disappointing that it's corny, I mean you can be cliched and cute and fluffy but when you venture into corny it's just too much. Thanks for the review Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is too much. I can't take a book very seriously if it feels too corny. :( You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. I was so excited about this one until I read a few negative reviews. Such a disappointment! I guess I should pass on it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a disappointment! I'm sad that I have to say that you aren't going to be missing out on this.

      Delete
  4. It seems like this book isn't really a hit among some of the bloggers I followed. I was initially very excited when I first read the blurb. Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does appear so. :( You're welcome!

      Delete
  5. Not sure if this is the book I want to read. I doubt I will. Also, it sounds very familiar... close to the plot of the movie the Prince and Me. Have you seen that? I don't think I will read this >> Thanks for the review though, it was helpful in making my decision.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/05/a-thousand-splendid-suns-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie. I'm glad my review helped! You're not missing out by passing this book up.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.