Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (21) ~ A Chilling and Perfect Read

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

What am I waiting on?

Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch
Releasing July 1st, 2014 by Entangled Teen

Goodreads description:

As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.

Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows…and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating. 

But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving…and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death.

For fans of Keira Cass’s Selection series and Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, as well as a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow. 
 Why am I waiting on it?
I have to be honest here . . . it's the cover. It's so beautiful and interesting looking. It alone makes me want to read the book!

Other than that, the last paragraph of that description makes the book seem like a match for me. "Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, as well as a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow." Man, that sounds like something that I would really get into. It seems like it has themes (I have a thing for great ones) that I would love, and I'm always looking for a good "chilling" read.

Also, this is one of the only dystopia books that I've thought sounded interesting all year, which just shows how intrigued I am by that cover and description.

Kate Jarvik Birch's other book:

That's my WoW this week! What's yours?

30 comments:

  1. Huh, that DOES sound interesting. As all the dystopian's are starting to sound the same to me, this looks like a breath of fresh air! Things for putting it on my radar :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think that's why I'm not very interested in the genre this year--everything just sounds the same. I'm glad I got to put this on your radar!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous cover! I love The Chemical Garden series so I am hoping to like this one too! Great pick and thanks for introducing me to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this one too! I'm glad I got to introduce this book to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this one. The book summary sounds really interesting. I have Deliver Me on my TBR list and I'm going to see first if I like the author's writing style before I add her other book on my list.

    Here's my WoW pick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really hope you do like the writing style! Then you'll be able to read this book. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes! I'm so looking forward to this one as well. I read and reviewed Deliver Me and really loved it so I'm certain this one will be excellent as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad to hear you loved Deliver Me! I'm starting to become quite interested in reading that one. :)

      Delete
  5. Okay, the cover kind of makes me want to laugh (and steal the dress) but yup, I want to read it. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there goes one of my theories: what if humans were treated as pets? Although, I had it in my mind that humans were pets of other species.

    LOL. Weird comment. However, this dystopia is really interesting and it does sound like it has themes to be excited about.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I'm glad you think it's interesting! It sounds so good!

      Delete
  7. OH MY. I haven't seen this one at all, but it is now going on my TBR! Thanks for sharing, Kaitlin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm glad I was able to introduce you to a new book. You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  8. Hmmm....very interesting indeed. Deciding if I want to read this. It sounds a little weird, but also nicely different.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do decide to read this! It sounds like the good kind of weird. :)

      Delete
  9. I don't know if I would read this one, sounds a bit weird. But that cover is really interesting!
    Thanks for sharing.

    My Waiting On Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like weird. :D I'm glad you think the cover is interesting!

      Delete
  10. I'm actually really drawn to this premise...! I have a copy of DELIVER ME. I think I'll read that and see what I think of the author's writing and then, possibly, check out PERFECTED! Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    And thanks for stopping by The Hiding Spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea! I really hope you like Deliver Me. :) You're welcome!

      Delete
  11. I have not heard of this book, but it sounds so interesting! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you find it interesting. :)

      Delete
  12. Ooo, I've never heard of this book! But that would make a fantastic necklace, the cage. I hope you read and love this one, Kaitlin!! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it would make a fantastic necklace! I never thought of that before. I really hope so too. :)

      Delete
  13. OH!!! THIS ONE ACTUALLY SOUNDS REALLY COOL. :D Dammit now I need to go buy another book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another book to add to the neverending TBR, huh? :D

      Delete
  14. So, this one's going onto my TBR as of right now. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I haven't heard of this but it's going onto the TBR so fast. I so agree that that sentence completely sells it! And the cover is so intriguing--I like that it's just the dress in the cage. :) Great pick!!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got to introduce it to you. :) I hope it's as good as its cover!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.