Sunday, June 15, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 12 ~ Megan Whitmer

Welcome to the twelfth day of Class of 2014! For a few weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)

Today's interview is with Megan Whitmer, author of Between! Her book looks like such a fun and fantastical (see what I did there?) read and I'm so excited for its release next month.☺ Enjoy the interview!

Megan Whitmer’s favorite color is blue. She’s convinced the best movie ever made is Tombstone, followed closely by The Princess Bride, The Avengers, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and Sharknado. She’s addicted to making lip-sync videos. She takes hugs pretty seriously. Her greatest failure is her inability to breakdance, but she makes up for it by being supremely gifted at The Shopping Cart.

She lives in Kentucky with her family. Also, she writes books and talks a lot. Like, a lot.


You can learn more at www.meganwhitmerwrites.com.





Genre: YA fantasy
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: July 29th, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / B&N
Find it on Goodreads

Goodreads description:

When a supernatural freak of nature forces her family to separate, seventeen-year-old Charlie Page must turn to her frustrating (yet gorgeous) neighbor, Seth, to help reunite them. Seth whisks Charlie to Ellauria—a magical world filled with the creatures of myths and legends—and tells her of the Fellowship, the group charged with protecting mystical beings from human discovery. (All except Bigfoot: that attention whore is a total lost cause.) But when Charlie learns that she's under the Fellowship's protection herself, well, "stressed" is an understatement.

Ellauria should be the safest place for Charlie while the Fellowship works to find her family, but things in the mystical realm aren’t what they seem.


Magic is failing, creatures are dying, and the Fellowship insists Charlie holds the key to saving everyone. With her family still missing and the danger in Ellauria growing, Charlie doesn't know who she can trust. She's dealing with a power she never asked for, falling for a guy she can't have, and being forced to choose between her destiny and her heart. And if she chooses wrong, she could destroy magic forever.


Charlie may be in over her head.
Hi Megan!

I’ve been looking around on the YA Misfits blog and came across the yearbook page. Why are you the “The Cheerleader” and “Most Likely to Hit On Your MC?”


I talk to so many writers who are ready to throw in the towel after they receive a few rejections on their query letters, or harsh critique from a CP, or even just quitting before their books are finished because they’ve been stuck and it’s too hard to keep going. I’ve been in all of these positions, so I totally get that feeling. That’s normal. You just can’t follow through on the quitting. I think the knee-jerk reaction when your writing mojo takes a hit is to say, “I suck at this and I’m quitting.” We all have those moments. It’s important that there’s someone to pull you out of those moments and remind you that if you didn’t love writing, you wouldn’t have started doing it in the first place, or that lots of really great novels were rejected by one literary agent or another, or that not every person who reads your book is going to love it (just like you don’t love every single book you read) but that doesn’t mean the book itself is complete crap. I often find myself in that “cheerleader” role, and I’ve written several blog posts and recorded many vlogs with the same general message—don’t give up. That, along with the fact that I fully believe in being generous with my compliments because sometimes my nice words might be the only nice words a person hears all day, is why I’m the Cheerleader. :)


As for Most Likely to Hit On Your MC, I have a habit of falling hard and fast for the love interests in my friends’ books when I critique or beta for someone. I was so lucky to stumble into an incredibly talented circle of authors when I initially began working toward publication. They write the most adorable boys EVER. I’ve been known to leave some flirtatious comments in the margins of my friends’ books.


What do you hope your readers will get out of reading your debut?


I feel like there are a lot of layers to Between, and a lot of different stories involved for each character—but the main thing is that overall, I hope readers find it funny and find themselves as in love with the characters as I am.


I can’t resist asking this: how much does the Fellowship in Between connect to the Fellowship in The Lord of the Rings trilogy?

It doesn’t. :) The Fellowship is a secret organization whose purpose is to make sure humans go on thinking that so-called mythical creatures don’t exist.


What is one of the best parts about having Spencer Hill Press as a publisher?


I’ve had lots of involvement in things that I wouldn’t be as involve in if I were with a larger publisher. For instance, I helped choose the model who portrays Charlie on my cover. I have a great relationship with my editor, and I feel like my book is a hundred times better than it was before Spencer Hill bought it.


What is your favorite part about writing? What is your least favorite?


My favorite part is when I have those moments where the characters break through and do something I wasn’t expecting. I absolutely love that. There are several key plot points in BETWEEN that never would’ve happened if I hadn’t allowed my characters to take control of the story. My least favorite part is cutting scenes, although I’ve agreed with every scene that had to be cut from BETWEEN, I still hated parting with good lines or moments that I loved between characters.


Do you have any writing quirks?

I don’t know how quirky it is—but I have to have music on when I’m writing. Whenever I hear of people who need complete silence, it confuses me. I also write better late at night than early in the morning.


Thank you for answering my questions!
********************************************************
Megan has offered to give away one ebook pre-order of her book! (Thank you, Megan!) The giveaway is open internationally and ends on June 30th @ midnight PST. The ebook will be gifted from Amazon. I will announce the winners on Twitter and will send emails to the winner. If you win, you have 48 hours to respond and claim your prize.

Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

I hope you enjoyed the interview! Come back tomorrow for the next one.

Hint: I bought her book on a trip to Barnes & Noble earlier this month. :)

12 comments:

  1. Great interview :) I listen to music when I write too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! This made me giggle, and I can definitely relate to the falling hard for love interests ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Megan is a positive force and that's only from following her on Twitter! I'm quite intrigued by her debut, and I cannot wait to read Between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan's a great author to follow on Twitter. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!The story having a magical world made me think-"What a great book!HAVE to read it."Anyways the book sounds interesting and awesome.I hope I get to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it too! It does look like an awesome book. :)

      Delete
  5. Megan is awesome and I think Between sounds like fun. Always interesting to hear if writers listen while they write. Some have to, like Megan, while it distracts others. I love music, but for me I'm the latter. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a writer, I think I would listen to a certain type of music or just write in the quiet according to what I was writing about.

      Delete
  6. I love all the interviews! They give a deep insight into the author and the book itself. Great!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.