Monday, June 16, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 13 ~ Danielle L. Jensen

Welcome to the thirteenth day of Class of 2014! For a few weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)


I have an interview with Danielle L. Jensen to share with you today! She's the author of Stolen Songbird, a recent addition to my bookshelf. This book is not only a fantasy, but it's a fantasy about trolls. I've only read one book with trolls as main characters, so I'm looking forward to meeting the ones in this world.☺ Enjoy the interview!
Danielle was born and raised in Calgary, Canada. At the insistence of the left side of her brain, she graduated in 2003 from the University of Calgary with a bachelor’s degree in finance. But the right side of her brain has ever been mutinous; and in 2010, it sent her back to school to complete an entirely impractical English literature degree at Mount Royal University and to pursue publication. Much to her satisfaction, the right side shows no sign of relinquishing its domination.



Genre: YA fantasy

Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Publication Date: July 29th, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / B&N
Find it on Goodreads

Goodreads description:

For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.
Hi Danielle!

Why did you decide to write about trolls?

The inspiration for Stolen Songbird was a dream I had about a city buried by rubble. The trolls came into being as I considered what sort of creatures would live in such a city and why.

Where did the title Stolen Songbird come from?

The novel has had many different titles over its lifetime. Stolen Songbird was selected after I signed my contract with my publisher, but before my deal was announced. Many, many lists were passed around, but my agent came up with the final title by amalgamating two suggestions on a list my editor had sent to us. I was the least helpful person in the equation. Titles are not my forte. 

What themes are included in Stolen Songbird?

I don’t really write with themes in mind - my focus is on plot, world-building, and character development. Which isn’t to say there aren’t themes in the novel, only that they came into being as the result of the plot, not the other way around. Revolution, loyalty, coming of age, fighting for what one believes in, sacrifice, and survival against the odds are the sorts of themes that developed. 

Describe Cécile and Tristan’s relationship for me.

Slow burn. They start out disliking each other for very good reasons, eventually become allies, and then they fall for each other hard. They are very different from each other, but for the most part, it is the aspects that make them different that they admire most in each other. 

What do you believe makes a good fantasy?

Compelling characters and a world you can immerse yourself in. An amazing fantasy novel pulls your mind out of this world and into the imagination of the author. 

How did release day feel?

I felt very popular that day. It’s a very exciting moment to know that your work is sitting on shelves and that people are buying it. 

What was the toughest part of getting your book published? What was the easiest?

The easiest part was writing the book. I’d say the hardest part emotionally were the rejections, but I think the editorial work I did with my agent was the most challenging. Staying objective and enthusiastic about a story after what feels like endless rounds of revisions is more difficult than most people think.

Thank you for answering my questions!

********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed the interview! Come back tomorrow for a guest post by the next author. 

Hint: Her April release is set in a society that "kills or abandons anyone with a physical or mental disability."

6 comments:

  1. Im so excited to read this one now. It has been in my kindle for a few weeks. The trolls remind me of the movie Frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I love the trolls in that movie. :D

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really cool! Someone else I know reviewed it, I think, so maybe I'll have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adored Stolen Songbird and I'm dying to get the sequel!! What an evil cliffhanger!
    But the story was fantastic and having the trolls as characters was very unique!
    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely do sound unique! I'm really looking forward to reading it. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.