Thursday, June 19, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 16 ~ Nikki Urang

Welcome to the sixteenth (and last) day of Class of 2014! For the last couple weeks, I've been spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)

The very last interview I'm sharing with you for this event is with Nikki Urang! I just love the sounds of her debut, The Hit List, and am so excited to get to feature her today. Enjoy.☺
Nikki Urang has loved books since she was a little girl. Now she writes them. Young Adult and NewAdult are her passions. She is represented by Nicole Resciniti of The Seymour Agency.

Her debut novel, THE HIT LIST, releases 11/11/14.



Website / Twitter / Goodreads / Facebook
Genre: YA/NA contemporary
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Publication Date: November 11th, 2014
Pre-order: Amazon / B&N
Find it on Goodreads

Goodreads description:

The Los Angeles Conservatory for the Arts is supposed to be a new beginning for Sadie Bryant. Moving across the country is exactly what she needs to escape the gossip surrounding her injury, the devastating betrayal of her ex-partner, and to rebuild her career as a solo dancer.

When the school announces that the annual Fall Showcase, a performance that secures a spot studying in London, will now require each dancer to have a partner, Sadie’s fresh start is a nightmare. Now she has to dance with Luke Morrison, the school womanizer with a big ego. Sadie doesn’t know how to trust Luke enough to dance with him after her last partner left her broken, but Luke is determined to change that.

Then, The Hit List comes out. A game of sexual conquest where guys get points for all the girls they hook up with—and it seems like every guy at the school is playing.

The girl worth the most points? Sadie.

Hi Nikki!

What is one of the best parts about having Spencer Hill Contemporary as the publisher for your book?
 

I think probably the best thing is knowing that there are other people who love my book and want to make it the best it can be. Writing is such an isolating experience and having people that are on my team and believe in my book and my characters is the best feeling. They also work really closely with me and are available to chat if I need help, which is a plus.

Where did the idea for The Hit List come from? 

I was a dancer when I was younger and I knew that I wanted to write something with a dance element in it. I was sitting on my couch one day when the idea for the game popped into my head. I wrote down the rules and sent them to my CPs to see if I was crazy for even trying something like it. While I waited to hear back from them, I brainstormed the kind of setting it would work in. A performing arts school seemed like the best fit and Sadie and her trust issues followed quickly after. I wrote the blurb for it that day and finished the first draft 4 weeks later.

What do you hope your readers will get out of reading The Hit List? 


I read to escape and to experience things that I otherwise wouldn't. It helps me get out of my head and get away from the real world for awhile. I hope that THE HIT LIST can be that for someone else. If one other person gets what they needed from reading my book, whatever that need is, I've accomplished something.

Who was the toughest character for you to write? Who was the easiest? 


Sadie was the hardest character for me to write because of her situations and her emotions. It was hard to let her experience her emotions and keep her consistent and likeable at the same time. Brielle was the easiest character for me to write. She balances Sadie a lot. Where Sadie overthinks and analyzes everything, Brielle is very much carefree and laid back. And I think that balance is really important to their friendship.

What are you working on now? 


I'm working on a few projects. I'm writing my second book for Spencer Hill Contemporary that is due out in 2015. I'm really excited about it, but I'm not sure how much detail I can share with you. It's a NA contemporary. I'm also working on edits for a YA contemporary for my agent. Exciting things are coming!

Why do you write contemporary novels? 


There's something about contemporary novels that has always held my attention more than any other genre. I love that I can read a story about a character and know that it could happen in the real world. And I want to give people that experience.

It seems to me that many debut authors support one another during the journey of publishing their first novels. Which other debut authors have you drawn the most support from? 


Two of my biggest supporters through this whole thing have been my CPs, Kate Brauning and Lizzy Charles. Lizzy signed with her agent and signed her book deal within weeks of the time I signed mine. It helped to be so close to someone who was going through the same thing I was and transitioning into the world of edits and deadlines. Lizzy technically debuted in 2013, but having her in the same spot as me for a little while was extremely helpful. Kate and I actually share a release date on 11/11/14 so it's been great to have that support from her with all the final things to do as we work our way to November.

Thank you for answering my questions!
********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed the interview! Thank you so much for reading this (and all the others you have read during the event). I hope to have a wrap up post tomorrow to recap the event and the experience of running it.

Reminder: Although all the Class of 2014 author features have now been featured, the giveaways are still running! Most have a small number of entries too, so your chances of winning are good. You can find the list of giveaways to the right side of this blog -->

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds really cool! I'm going to have to put it on my watch list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son danced for awhile and went to a Performing Arts high school, so this sounds interesting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.