Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 2 ~ Ella Martin

Welcome to the second day of Class of 2014! For the next couple weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)

Ella Martin, the author of upcoming Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up?, has a guest post for you all today! I've had a great time talking to her on Twitter, and I hope you check out her book. Enjoy the guest post!



Prep school survivor and Southern California native Ella Martin writes sweet romances with a spunky cast of characters who are way cooler than she ever was. Her debut, Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up? will be released by Astraea Press July 1, 2014. Unwilling to brave snowy winters, she now resides in Florida with her husband and son


Genre: YA contemporary
Publisher: Astraea Press
Publication Date: July 1st, 2014
Find it on Goodreads


Goodreads Description:


Right fairy tale. Wrong guy.

Bianca is the Westgate Prep quarterback’s sister--and that’s her only claim to fame. When her friends’ social experiment turns her into the It Girl of the Sophomore class and she captures the attention of the most popular guy in her grade, though, she’s ecstatic to introduce the world to her first boyfriend. But no one’s ever told her what to do when her friends hate her boyfriend and Prince Charming starts acting like a control-freaky nightmare. It doesn’t help that Tim, her fourth-grade crush and her brother’s best friend, is making her head all fuzzy, either.
Guest Post:

5 Things I Mostly Knew But Needed to Be Reminded
When I wrote Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up?, it was kind of done on a whim. I like to say it was like that scene inLegally Blonde when the professor turns to his TA and says, “Do you think she woke up one morning and said, ‘I think I’ll go to law school today.’” That was totally me.
I wrote my novel during NaNoWriMo 2012, finishing it a few days shy of the “deadline.” I spent the next few weeks polishing it as best I could and incorporated feedback from friends I’d made during NaNoWriMo. Then after a Twitter pitch party, I sent it out to agents with the same clueless confidence I had while writing it, and amazingly, Julia Weber loved it enough to offer representation right away. So from the day I wrote the first words of Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up? to the day I received (and accepted!) Julia’s offer, only three months had passed.
I knew my experience was atypical. I just didn’t realize how much. And while early success sounds great, in reality, it turns out there was so much I didn’t know about books and publishing in general. I mean, I knew these things in my head, but I needed continuous reminding on many occasions. So I’ve compiled a list of things soon-to-be-published me wishes she could have reminded newly-agented me—and wishes newly-agented me fully understood.


  1. You will find people who won’t lie to you. Befriend them and trust them.
    I didn’t have critique partners when I was writing the first draft of Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up? I didn’t even have any writerly friends. There was a local NaNoWriMo group that I joined each Sunday, but that was about the extent of my association with other writers during those early days. I think I lucked out, though, because I befriended some amazing people there who weren’t afraid to tell me the truth about what worked and what didn’t. I didn’t meet what I’d call my core group of trusted peers until after I’d already signed with my agent, though, and I consider myself incredibly fortunate for knowing them.

  2. Early morning anxiety attacks are really unnecessary.
    No, really. They’re entirely unnecessary. I have emailed Julia more times than I’m willing to admit in the middle of the night because of random stuff. Not long after Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up? was out on submission, I emailed her, frantically paranoid that she was going to drop me as a client because I still hadn’t finished the companion novel I’d planned for it. (Confession: It’s still a work in progress.) And I still send her spaztic emails asking if it’s okay to freak out yet. And her response every time is a solid “no” because, as she’s reminded me repeatedly, the publishing business will eat me alive if I let it.

  3. Rejection happens—and it’s not the end of the world.
    Oh! And just because you secured an agent in record time, it doesn’t mean the entire book world automatically loves you. Nor should it. Publishing is a business, after all. Editors and publishers have to carefully decide which projects they will back based on what they think will sell the most. So even though this was something I knew on a cerebral level, it never really registered until it happened to me. Some of the rejection stung. A lot. Some rejections were weird compliment-rejection hybrids that simultaneously disappointed and motivated me. One rejection made me want to question my entire existence as a writer. But regardless, rejection is part of the deal. It happens—a lot—and the world doesn’t stop just because of a little rejection.

  4. No one will make an offer on your manuscript just to be nice.
    This may sound like a “duh” statement, but there are many times I’ve needed to be reminded of this. Again, publishing is a business. Agents don’t offer to represent your manuscript because they feel sorry for you. Editors don’t make offers on your work because of momentary lapses in judgment. And because it’s a business, when you get to the point where you’re working with agents and editors, no one is going to lie about the quality of your work or sugarcoat their feedback to you. No one gets paid in this business—or any business, really—for just being nice.

  5. Nothing will turn out exactly as planned, but it will be okay.
    After I finished writing Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up?, I already had ideas for how to promote and market the book, where to throw my release day party, what swag to get, etc. And you know what? Not all of it is getting implemented.Will the Real Prince Charming Please Stand Up? is being released initially as an ebook, which means sending physical copies to a target list is simply not possible until a print version is released. A release day party is also a little tough to justify in real life without actual printed copies of books to display. And premium swag comes at a premium price. But even though it’s different from what I’d planned, it’s not tragic. If I’ve learned anything over the years in my non-writing career, perhaps the most important part of PR and marketing is the ability to adapt to changes in the environment, the audience, and/or the budget. So while it’s not exactly everything I hoped it might be, it’s still pretty amazing.
********************************************************

10 comments:

  1. Excellent post. WILL THE REAL PRINCE CHARMING PLEASE STAND UP should be on everyone's must read list! Such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that! The book sure does look great.

      Delete
  2. Haha first off I really like the title of her book! I can tell it's a light and fluffy contemporary read. Congratulations on getting your book published!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your beginning process being so smooth~ I am also thinking of publishing something actually, so this makes me want to keep working at it. I've been reading articles so I can really know what it's like, and I am looking forwards to trying it!

    Check out my NOTD post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/06/notd-sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the guest post helpful. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this actually sounds super adorable!! I sort of need this RIGHT NOWWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! That book actually looks great! Yay! I'm impressed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! I'm so excited for it!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.