Friday, June 6, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 3 ~ Tracy Clark

Welcome to the third day of Class of 2014! For the next couple weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)


Today's author is Tracy Clark! Her book, Scintillate, looks pretty cool--metaphysical magic, romance, and Ireland. :) I hope you guys enjoy the interview!


Tracy Clark grew up a “valley girl” in Southern California but now resides in her home state of Nevada with her daughter and son. She’s an unapologetic dog person who is currently owned by a cat. She is the recipient of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Work in Progress Grant and a two-time participant in the prestigious Nevada SCBWI Mentor Program. Her debut novel was inspired by her enchantment with metaphysics as a teen, seeing it as the real magic in life. When not writing and mothering, Tracy is a private pilot, and an irredeemable dreamer. www.tracyclark.org

Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: February 4th , 2014
Purchase: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository
Find it on Goodreads

Goodreads Description: 
A mighty flame follows a tiny spark.

Cora Sandoval’s mother disappeared when she was five and they were living in Ireland. Since then, her dad has been more than overprotective, and Cora is beginning to chafe under his confines. But even more troubling is the colorful light she suddenly sees around people. Everyone, that is, except herself—instead, she glows a brilliant, sparkling silver.

As she realizes the danger associated with these strange auras, Cora is inexplicably drawn to Finn, a gorgeous Irish exchange student who makes her feel safe. Their attraction is instant, magnetic, and primal—but her father disapproves, and Finn’s mother orders him home to Ireland upon hearing he’s fallen in love. After a fight with her father, Cora flees to Ireland, both to follow Finn and to look for her missing mother.

There she meets another silver-haloed person and discovers the meaning of her newfound powers and their role in a conspiracy spanning centuries—one that could change mankind forever…and end her life.

Scintillate is the first book in this lush and exciting new trilogy, full of romance, adventure and metaphysical mystery. 
Watch the book trailer:

Hi Tracy!

First of all, how does it feel to be a published author?


I think I’ve cried at every milestone I’ve hit so far, if that tells you anything. On some level it’s still unbelievable to me that my book is out there in the world and that people are actually reading it! I know how hard it is to break into the world of publishing these days and I feel very grateful. There’s also a bit of overwhelm at how much work it is to actually make a career out of this thing I love doing!

Who have been your biggest cheerleaders in your writing career so far?

When I first started out, I joined SCBWI (The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.) The SCBWI community is like a family, a tribe of artists who all have each other’s backs. In my home state of Nevada, I was lucky enough to find a writing community that has been overwhelmingly supportive. Certainly bestselling YA author, Ellen Hopkins, has been one of my mentors and cheerleaders from the start. My critique group has been a major part of my growth as a writer and we are very supportive of one another.

Has publishing a novel been tougher or easier than you thought it would be?

Much tougher than I imagined when I first started out! When I began writing, I’d received a couple of contest nods that gave me a false (and naive) sense of confidence. I went to conferences convinced I was going to be “discovered.” While that does happen for some people, I learned that it takes years of work to hone your craft until it rises up enough to get noticed. Even then, timing and luck and perseverance play a major role. I feel very lucky to have such an amazing agent in Michael Bourret from Dystel & Goderich who has believed in me all along.

Tell me a little about the magic you've included in Scintillate.

The magic in SCINTILLATE is of the metaphysical sort. I’d always been intrigued by metaphysics, even as a teen, and wanted to explore the idea of energy between people. Specifically, why some people uplift us while others make us feel completely wrung out. I wanted to create a mythology to explain that. Seeing auras was a natural extension of that in that the main character, Cora Sandoval, can actually see the energy between people. She can also see that hers is completely different. 

What kind of personality does the heroine of Scintillate have?

Cora has been sheltered most of her life by her overprotective father. She starts out not fully knowing what she’s capable of and is yearning to break free. That leads her to make some mistakes (as we all do) but with every experience, she grows stronger and more resolved to find answers. When I first started writing Cora, I found it challenging because she’s such a nice girl! I always wrote snarky characters and definitely had fun infusing her cousin, Mari, with that trait. But there was a part of me that was like, “What DO really nice people say?” She was a departure from the smart-alec girls who are more like me. LOL

What are you currently working on?

It’s a really busy time! I’m drafting book 3 of the Light Key Trilogy while editing book 2. And by the time this interview is shown, it won’t be a secret that I just sold a YA psychological thriller to Harcourt Houghton Mifflin. It's about a seventeen year-old skydiver who’s life spirals out of control and she must find out if she’s going crazy or is being haunted. That was such a fun book to write and much of it came from my own skydiving experiences! It’ll come out in the spring of 2016, right after book 3 of the trilogy comes out. I’m so stoked but VERY busy because soon I’ll have to begin the editorial process with that book as well.

Lastly, tell me a random fact about yourself.

Without fail, I have a piece of chile spiced chocolate every day after my lunch. It’s my treat to myself. We should all do at least one nice thing for ourselves every day!

Thank you for answering my questions!

Thanks so much for having me. Congratulations on your graduation! I wish you success and happiness in this fun new phase of your life!
********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed the interview. Come back tomorrow to read another interview and enter to win an ARC of the next author's book.

Hint: His dystopia releases in September!

8 comments:

  1. It does take years to get it right. To hone your craft and then finally get it noticed. But it's so worth it. Loves the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metaphysical Magic??? COUNT ME IN. I've always been a fan of the metaphysical too and I personally believe there aren't nearly enough books out there that deal with this.

    Thanks for sharing this interview, Kaitlin!! :D It's really nice that you're helping to promote some of the debut authors of 2014 :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metaphysical magic sounds so interesting. I would love to read more books with it!

      You're welcome, Rashika. :)

      Delete
  3. I am interested in metaphysical magic. I recently finished reading a book where the entire world the characters were living in was metaphysical, including their bodies. I will probably he looking into this book in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa...that book sounds cool. I hope it was a great one! You're welcome. I hope you do decide to read this book sometime. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much, Kaitlin, for featuring SCINTILLATE on your blog! I'm really happy to see people excited about the metaphysical aspect of the book--that's why I wrote it! (That, and I love writing kissy scenes) But that's another topic. :) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.