Monday, June 9, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 6 ~ Mary Crockett

Welcome to the sixth day of Class of 2014! For the next couple weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)

I have an interview with Mary Crockett, the co-author of Dream Boy, to share with you today! I've been wanting to read a really, really good book with a focus on dreams for a long time, and I think this one may be the one to finally wow me.☺ Enjoy the interview! I hope you all are interested in reading Mary Crockett and Madelyn Rosenberg's book.


Mary Crockett's debut young adult novel DREAM BOY is about the aftermath of dreams and the desire to figure out how you fit into the puzzle of your own life. It's also about cute guys, epic kisses, and the mystical power of a really awesome pair of shoes. A native of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Mary grew up as the youngest of six children in a family of misfits. She has worked as everything from a history museum director to a toilet seat hand model. In her other life, she's an award-winning poet, professional eavesdropper, and the person who wipes runny noses. If you tweet at her, chances are she will tweet back. (from Goodreads)


Genre: YA paranormal
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: July 1st, 2014
Pre-order: Amazon / B&N
Find it on Goodreads

Synopsis:
Annabelle Manning feels like she’s doing time at her high school in Chilton, Virginia. She has her friends at her lunchtime table of nobodies. What she doesn’t have are possibilities. Or a date for Homecoming. Things get more interesting at night, when she spends time with the boy of her dreams. But the blue-eyed boy with the fairytale smile is just that—a dream. Until the Friday afternoon he walks into her chemistry class. 

One of friends suspects he’s an alien. Another is pretty sure it’s all one big case of deja vu. While Annabelle doesn’t know what to think, she’s willing to believe that the charming Martin Zirkle may just be her dream come true. But as Annabelle discovers the truth behind dreams—where they come from and what they mean—she is forced to face a dark reality she had not expected. More than just Martin has arrived in Chilton. As Annabelle learns, if dreams can come true, so can nightmares. 
Hi Mary!

What can your readers expect out of your book?


I want readers have as much fun with Dream Boy as Madelyn and I did when we wrote it. There's some comic stuff, some scary stuff, a bit of romance. So hopefully there's something there to appeal to different readers who have different personal tastes.

Beyond that, readers will be introduced to a small town in southwestern Virginia where not everything is as it initially seems. They can expect to meet some characters who are trying to figure out where they fit in the world and what matters to them. And to have some fun along the way!


What character in Dream Boy was the funnest to write?

I really enjoyed writing the narrator, Annabelle. We were able to go a bit deeper into her thought process--and that was fun. There's also this difference between what she's thinking and what she says that I found interesting. She's like so many people out there who aren't necessarily going to say everything out loud, but they're noticing things and thinking about them. So getting into her head was fascinating to me.

I also like her friend Talon, who is supremely snarky. But underneath all the sarcasm, she's a great friend who really cares about the people in her life. She'd be there for her friends, no matter what--snarking all the way.

Of course, the dream character, Martin, was fun, too. Coming into this world from the world of dreams, he has a charm and cluelessness that I find endearing. Getting to know him as he revealed himself chapter by chapter was a blast. He really surprised me.

I absolutely love the cover of Dream Boy! How is it a good fit for the story?

Thanks, Kaitlin. I love it, too. The bottle tree does figure into the story--but I don't want to put out any spoilers, so you'll have to read Dream Boy to find out how.

I can tell you, though, that Dream Boy is set in Appalachia, and the bottle tree is an old folk practice in the South. People would hang bottles on trees as a way of capturing evil spirits. The tree not only suggests the folk culture that's part of the book's setting, but it also creates a connection point between the real world and what lies beyond.

I really like the image, though, because it communicates so powerfully captures the mix of reality and dream that we were going for in this book.



What is one of the best parts of having a co-author?

It's so much fun!

Writing alone is... lonely. It's easy to lose heart along the way, so having someone else who is invested in the book--someone to carry the torch for a while when you need them to--is AMAZING!

Not to say there weren't some negotiations along the way. I think Madelyn says it best in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6Hfy7Kfk4

Who has been your biggest cheerleader in your writing career so far?

Of course, Madelyn has been a cheerleader though this whole process. Our friend Cece Bell. who is a fantastic children's book writer/illustrator and graphic novelist, has also been very supportive of both of us.

My mom, though, was always the one I could go to when I needed someone to believe in me. She died last year, before the book deal for Dream Boy came through. But sometimes I tell her about what's going on with it anyway. Who knows? Maybe she can hear me.

What are you working on now?

A contemporary young adult novel. It's not finished, so I don't want to talk about it too much yet. Suffice to say, I'm really loving it. It makes me laugh and cry, and I'm enjoying the words.

Tell me a random fact about yourself!

I'm obsessed with beavers.

Thank you for answering my questions!
********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed the interview! Come back tomorrow for another with the next Class of 2014 author. (Hint: Her debut releases on June 24th and was one of my WoW picks!)

P.S. Want to read a review for Dream Boy? Krystianna from Downright Dystopian just posted one yesterday!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me over, Kaitlin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is so pretty! It also sounds really good! I don't know how these authors do it with the co-writing, but I would take loneliness over clashing my inner anal self with another author haha. Not like I'm planning to write a book, like, ever but you know what I mean >.< Great post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather write alone too. I don't think I could work so well with a co-author. :D Thank you, Giselle!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for featuring our book! And you guys might be surprised, re writing with a co-author. Mary and I (who both have inner anal selves) do other projects on our own, and we both found it super fun to team up for something. For your third book, maybe ...

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.