Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Class of 2014 Day 7 ~ Dahlia Adler

Welcome to the seventh day of Class of 2014! For the next couple weeks, I'll be spotlighting some of this year's debut authors. I wanted a way to celebrate both my high school graduation and one year blogoversary, so I decided to feature authors of the same "class" as me on Reading is My Treasure! (Want to learn more about this event? Go here.)


I'm so excited to feature Dahlia Adler, the author of Behind the Scenes, today! She's actually responsible for finding a bunch of the debut authors I'm including in this event. She sent me emails of some people interested, then I took it from there. I'm incredibly thankful for her help because having authors expecting my email made me more comfortable emailing authors. (Thank you so much, Dahlia.) I hope you all enjoy her interview! 


Dahlia Adler is an Assistant Editor of Mathematics by day, a Copy Editor by night, and a YA writer and blogger at The Daily Dahlia, YA Misfits, and Barnes & Noble at every spare moment in between. Her debut novel, BEHIND THE SCENES, releases from Spencer Hill Contemporary on June 24, 2014. She is represented by Lana Popovic at Zachary Shuster Harmsworth. (from Goodreads)


Genre: YA contemporary
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: June 24th, 2014
Pre-order: Amazon / B&N
Find it on Goodreads

Goodreads description:
High school senior Ally Duncan's best friend may be the Vanessa Park - star of TV's hottest new teen drama - but Ally's not interested in following in her BFF's Hollywood footsteps. In fact, the only thing Ally’s ever really wanted is to go to Columbia and study abroad in Paris. But when her father's mounting medical bills threaten to stop her dream in its tracks, Ally nabs a position as Van's on-set assistant to get the cash she needs.

Spending the extra time with Van turns out to be fun, and getting to know her sexy co-star Liam is an added bonus. But when the actors’ publicist arranges for Van and Liam to “date” for the tabloids just after he and Ally share their first kiss, Ally will have to decide exactly what role she's capable of playing in their world of make believe. If she can't play by Hollywood's rules, she may lose her best friend, her dream future, and her first shot at love. 
Hi Dahlia!

What are three words that describe your book well?


Fun. Sexy. Hollywood.

How can your readers relate to the characters in Behind the Scenes?


Obviously my characters' situations are a little extreme, being so many of the secondaries are celebrities, but I think a lot of people can relate to having a best friend who seems to overshadow them, like Ally does, or having a hard time with the fact that the life you fell into isn't something that gives you joy and personal satisfaction, like Liam.


What kind of friendship do Ally and Van have?

Ally and Van are friends who genuinely love each other and have always wanted the best for each other, but the situation in Behind the Scenes makes that tricky because the things that are best for them are really at cross-purposes. And they love each other enough that that hurts. But they're definitely friends who are in it for the long haul. 

What is one of the best parts about having Spencer Hill Contemporary as the publisher for your book?


I love that they're committed to the same ideals I am with regard to diversity and honesty. Instead of "Welllllll, you might want to dial back on the racism stuff" in Behind the Scenes, it was "MORE OF THAT." When I added a graphic scene, there was a real discussion of the pros and cons of keeping it, and not a simple "Nope, can't do that." And when I told them a character in a future book was actually definitely a lesbian, they were thrilled; they're always looking for LGBTQ+ YA. 

How has your experience as a copy editor affected your writing?

It makes my drafts pretty clean, thankfully! But I think that's really it. As a copy editor, sometimes you have to detach from the story, and as a writer, you really can't do that, so I don't really feel the intersection of those two occupations as much as you'd think.

What are you working on now?

Right now I'm revising a contemporary New Adult romance while I wait for my editor to return notes on my companion to Behind the Scenes, which is called Under the Lights and releases on June 30, 2015. I also have a couple of CPs reading another book I have coming out with Spencer Hill next year, called My Name is Everett, so hopefully I'll get to editing that soon too.

Why write YA?

Because it's fun. I also write NA and chick lit, but the truth is that there's something about redoing those teen years over and over again in different ways that really appeals to me. I think a huge part of it is that I love writing "firsts" - first kisses, first loves, first times...you get those a lot more in YA than in other categories, and they're just my favorite!

Thank you for answering my questions!
********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed the interview! Come back tomorrow for the next one as well as the next giveaway.

Hint: His debut has dragons in it.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh this looks so interesting!! Amazing interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this interview, Kaitlin! I picked up Behind the Scenes at BEA and met the author (super sweetheart!), and I'm really looking forward to reading it this month! Plus what she has coming up sounds fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really hope you enjoy reading this one (I'll have to look out for your review).

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.