Thursday, June 26, 2014

Flashback Friday / Guilt Letters to the TBR ~ Anna and the French Kiss

Flashback Friday on Swoony Boys Podcast and Fiction Fare
This is a new meme hosted by Swoony Boys Podcast and Fiction Fare! It is a way to highlight older books (published at least two years ago) that we've read and loved or have been sitting on our TBR for a long time.

I realized this idea would work perfectly with a feature idea of mine where I write letters to books that I've been meaning to read or characters that I've yet to meet. I'm calling them my Guilt Letters to the TBR (title inspired by Love Letters to the Dead). I chose Anna from Anna and the French Kiss to write my first letter to.
(Click on the picture to go to Goodreads.)
Anna has everything figured out - she was about to start senior year with her best friend, she had a great weekend job, and her huge work crush looked as if it might finally be going somewhere... Until her dad decides to send her 4383 miles away to Paris. On her own.

But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna finds herself making new friends, including Etienne, the smart, beautiful boy from the floor above. But he’s taken – and Anna might be too. Will a year of romantic near-missed end with the French kiss she’s been waiting for?

Magical…really captures the feeling of being in love.” – CASSANDRA CLARE

“Very sly. Very funny. Very romantic. You should date this book.” - MAUREEN JOHNSON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Anna,

I must apologize. Your story was published all the way back in 2010 and it has been on my bookshelf for almost a year now, and I still (for reasons unknown to even me) have yet to actually read it.

Anna and the French Kiss looks like such a sweet, romantic read that I would just adore. It seems like the type of contemporary that I would read from cover-to-cover in one sitting because it's just so darn addictive. I love those books! I just get so sucked in by the story and the romance and the sweetness (or sometimes bitterness) of it all.

I've heard so many amazing things about your story. I lot of people have said its an amazing contemporary and many people have mentioned how its set in Paris. The most I hear is about the romance, though. A lot of my fellow booklovers call Etienne St. Clair their book boyfriend (does that bother you at all--the fact that so many women love him?) and I'm feeling a little left out. I can only imagine that he is a great guy. Why else would the story about you two be written? Apparently he's very swoon-worthy . . . and I have to admit that I'm very curious about that. 


Writing this letter makes me wonder why on earth I haven't read your story yet. I guess I tend to push off reading amazing sounding books. (I know--that's a stupid thing to do.) It's only a matter of time until I finally read it. I've even ordered Lola's story and downloaded a sampler of Isla's because I'm sure that I'll love reading yours.

I'm looking forward to reading about your romantic story. :)


Sincerely,






P.S. Here are some things other people are saying about your story on Twitter:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please let me know if you liked the letter format! It's something fun that I want to keep doing for various books. (They won't always be posted with this meme. Many may be posted apart from Flashback Friday and they may either be posted alone or with other letters. It depends on whether you like them or not.)

20 comments:

  1. yay! Thank you for participating in flashback friday!! We're so happy you could join us! And what a pick to start with! I loved Anna and I hope you do too - I love the letter format!

    xo
    jaime @ fic fare

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWW, I love this!!! Kaitlin, you seriously need to read this ASAP though. It's SUCH a quick read, and the romance is great -- but it's the characters themselves, individually, who REALLY shine for me. I love them together and ship them so hard, but there is so much more than just the romance and shippiness and OTP. UGH. This book is just so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I love the letter format! I also have Anna in my TRB list, but it's only been there for like 2 weeks... I'm not a huge contemporary fan but these books (Anna, Lola and Isla) sound like books I'd probably love!
    Hopefully we'll both get to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna (and most likely the other two) is definitely a great contemporary. :)

      Delete
  4. This book GOT what it was like to be an American abroad and then have to return home where you didn't quite fit anymore and GAH, it just MY HEART!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently read it and it did seem like that part was well done.

      Delete
  5. Ok. I didn't love Paris when I visited and I am totally a Cricket girl more than an Etienne girl, but GO READ THIS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT'S JUST SO ACHINGLY GOOD. Some of the lines are just so perfect I want to hang them on my walls. It changed my entire view of contemp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I'll be more of a Cricket girl too. :) I have to agree with you. There's are some perfect lines from this book.

      Delete
  6. Anna and the French Kiss is SO good! Also, I love that you wrote the book a letter =) And yes, this is a sweet, romantic book that demands to be read in one or two sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it soon after I posted this letter and I loved it! The romance was so good!

      Delete
  7. You should definitely drop everything and read this, I too had waited so long to read it and now I wonder why I had never picked it up before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing after I finished it. :D

      Delete
  8. You should definitely read Anna and the French Kiss!
    This format is definitely interesting! I enjoyed reading it like that. It's never to late to pick a book up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did read the book and I loved it. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.