Monday, June 9, 2014

Review ~ Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 288
Publication date: July 16th, 2013
Publisher: MTV Books
Goodreads Description: 

From the author of the “real page-turner” (Seventeen) Such a Rush comes an unforgettable new drama that follows friends-turned-lovers as they navigate the passions, heartbreaks, and intrigue of country music fame.
Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again… 
Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Dirty Little Secret was my third Jennifer Echols book and I am happy to say she's impressed me yet again! I really enjoy reading her contemporary romances. While events towards the end prevented me from liking this one quite as much as Going Too Far or Such a Rush, I still enjoyed most aspects of the book.

BAILEY, THE MAIN CHARACTER

Bailey was awesome! She was rough around the edges and able to stand up for herself. I loved how she didn't let anyone try to walk all over her without pushing back against them. Her voice never bored me and her passion for music (when it was shown) was nice to see.

THE ROMANCE

This author is really good at writing romance. Bailey and Sam had a . . . tumultuous relationship, sure, but I like book relationships like that. There were times when the characters found each other irresistible, but they had several rough patches to work through. For the majority of the book, I loved the romance. One turn of events towards the end made me officially dislike Sam. Then, at the end, their relationship felt forced to me. I wasn't convinced of their chemistry as much as I was before. Nevertheless, the romance was still something that I really enjoyed.

THE MUSIC

I love music based books! This one had country music in it (which I also love) and had a fiddler as the main character. The music added a fun aspect to the book. It also heightened some of the drama because a lot of conflict concerning Sam's band arose. This could possibly be annoying to some readers, but not to me. Books are one of the only things that I actually like to see a little a little drama in. It keeps a story interesting.

OVERALL

I really liked reading Dirty Little Secret, mainly for the reasons I've already explained. This book was definitely an enjoyable read--quick, too. If you're a Jennifer Echols fan, I highly recommend reading this one. If you haven't read her books but love a great romance and an awesome protagonist, you may like this one!

My questions for you:

Do you like music based books?
Have you read any of Jennifer Echols' books?

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore books that feature music! I love listening to music, so that might be part of the reason, but it's not only that. The characters somehow seem more 'real' to me if they are also musicians :) Yeah, I'm totally that dorky, Kaitlin. I need to check this one out, and hey, I'll make sure I label my reviews with music from now on. That way, it's going to be easier both for me and others to find those books that include music :)
    Have a fantastic week, Kaitlin. Thanks for the great review.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lexxie! I think I love books that feature music for the same reasons you do.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've read many books that feature music, but the ones I've read I've loved!
    I'm not too sure about romance with a lot of drama, even if it gets resolved at the end but having an awesome protagonist that stands up for herself sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is awesome! I loved the parts where the MC in this book stood up for herself.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like something new I haven't yet seen! Refreshing. I love music, and Bailey's family sounds like D's. I'm going to have to nab this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read one of Jennifer Echols' books, but I want to so badly! I don't really listen to country music, but the world as depicted in books always appeals to me for some reason. :) I will definitely have to get myself a copy soon! Great review! :D

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should read one of her books soon! If not this one, then at least another one. She's a great author. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting, I loved Tristan and Danika, as a music featured novel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that one yet. Hmm...I'll look it up. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.