Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review ~ (Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

Series: standalone
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 336
Publication date: June 10th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
Welcome to Gardnerville.

A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies.

Except...
There’s a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they’d kill them.

Four years ago, Skylar’s sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville’s murderous cycle once and for all. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

(Don't You) Forget About Me was one that I decided to read without even paying attention to what it was about. The author was a familiar name (though I haven't read her other book) and other people seemed to be excited for it, so I thought, "why not?" Right now, I am incredibly glad that I gave this a chance. It took me by complete surprise.


This book blew me away. After finishing it, I just sat there, stunned. It wowed me. It stole my words from me--I was speechless.

Onto the specifics now (this may get a bit jumbled and random).

The whole book was like a giant puzzle. You start off slow, trying to figure out where to begin, but the more pieces you piece together, the quicker you see where all of the parts fit. Then those last few pieces click together and you see the entire picture clearly. (I hope that makes sense. My thoughts and reactions to this book confuse even myself.)

This book was a mind bender. It was tough to wrap my mind around what was going on and, most importantly, why.

The concept, the idea, of this story was incredible. So creative. So different. I've never read anything quite like it.

I loved how the author tied in 80's songs and movies/books like Wizard of Oz (where there's a seemingly more wonderful and happy world compared to a less colorful reality) with her story. They gave the book something even more extra. Some of the tie-ins also reinforced the overall points of the novel, which brings me to my next topic.

I loved what this book was about. Well, what I thought its core point was--it can be interpreted in many different ways. I got this out of it: the more you take something from someone else, the more you lose that thing from yourself. The book was also about memories: forgetting the bad, holding onto the good ones. It's easier to forget the bad, to just push it aside and believe in other memories or even false ones.

The book was a pretty slow one (or maybe that's because I just read it slowly and carefully). It was slow in a let-me-sink-into-the-words-and-focus-on-all-the-details sort of way. Sometimes, it felt like I was trudging along, and at one point, I was restless. I just wanted to get done quicker. However, the slow pace was soworth it. It fit the story and allowed for all those puzzle pieces to gather and start joining together.

The last 25 percent was what sold me. Everything--the why's the how's the mysterious details, the puzzle pieces--all started to be revealed and then cleared some (I'll explain why I say "some" soon). I was glued to the story. I was caught up in trying to figure out what was going on. I was being more and more wowed every chapter. It was pretty darn exciting. 

I do have to give this warning, though. (Don't You) Forget About Me was quite confusing, which is why I say the pieces were not cleared completely. I'm still trying to figure out some of the things that happened. Like I said, a lot of the ideas were tough to wrap my mind around.

OVERALL

Wow. Just wow.

love books like these--the creative and well written, yet quite confusing stories that involve many different pieces to reveal big twists towards the end. If you love books like that too I would definitely give this a try.

My question for you:

What was the most confusing book you ever read? Did you like it or not like it?

8 comments:

  1. I guess this means you need to get your hands on a copy of Another Little Piece ASAP. Another Little Piece was just as brilliant and this one and Kate has magical powers. She screws with your mind and when the final pieces click and things make sense, I always find myself a little surprised because I didn't think they would but they did.

    I am definitely excited to see what else she'll put out and I REALLY am glad to see you enjoyed this.

    Great review, Kaitlin!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to get my hands on Another Little Piece! I love the author's writing. :)

      Delete
  2. Yesss!! I really cannot wait to clear my reading schedule and just read this one cause it's a book I want to read!!
    Sounds absolutely fantastic and I'm glad to hear that despite all the mind-blowing stuff you were not beyond confused, because it's hard to enjoy books that are way too confusing!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I wasn't too confused. I was confused in a good way. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh!!! I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS ONE! I bought it recently and I'm DYING for it to come! And Another Little Piece was amazing so I'm not surprised that it was mindblowing ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80s references and unique paranormal plot - I'm sold! Great review :) I hadn't heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely read this one. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.