Sunday, June 15, 2014

Review ~ Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

Warning: This review may be mildly spoiler-y if you haven't read the previous two books in the series yet.


Series: The Sweet Trilogy #3
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 379
Publication date: April 29th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 

It’s time. 

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

I have to be honest here: this is my least favorite book out of the trilogy. It was just a tiny bit disappointing and didn't didn't draw me in as much as the first two books did. Nevertheless, I still really liked it.


THE ROMANCE

First and foremost is Anna and Kai. Of course, they were amazing together. They had a ton of chemistry and were such a sweet couple. I didn't enjoy the romance quite as much in this book as much as in the others, however. I just find romance more fun to read when the characters aren't together yet. That rocky stage where they're struggling with their feelings and/or trying to find a way to actually be together is one of my favorite parts. Now that Kai and Anna were finally together, there wasn't as much conflict. I still loved the couple and the romance, but it wasn't as fun to read as it was before.

THE MESSAGES

This part, I believe, was the source of my disappointment. One of my favorite things about this series is the themes that I've seen developed, the messages I've seen built into the story. I have a thing for books that explore great messages.

The problem with this book was that I didn't see any of the themes as strongly conveyed as they had been in the previous two books. Well, maybe the themes were, and I just wasn't as interested in them that much (the power of love seemed to be the biggest focus instead of a struggle between good and evil.

CLIMAX

The climax turned out to be a bit . . . anticlimactic. I was a bit annoyed with it, and it just wasn't that exciting. There was a very big thing that happened with one of the characters and while I know there was a point to it, I didn't see a strong point. There were also a few other parts of the scene that had me rolling my eyes. It didn't leave me with a hugely great impression of the book.

CONCLUSION

The last few pages were. Absolutely. Perfect. I got really excited over it because I have a soft spot for several of the things that were going on. It was one of the best moments of the entire series. Oh man. I can't get over it. It was just amazing!

OVERALL

I didn't love Sweet Reckoning as much as the first two books, but I definitely enjoyed reading it (I know my review seems mostly negative, but I still really liked the book). I doubt most fans of the series would be disappointed about the same things that I was. If you've loved the series so far, you will enjoy this conclusion!

My questions for you:

Do you prefer a romance when it's in the beginning stages?
Have you read this series?

4 comments:

  1. I've read the first book in the series which I really enjoyed but haven't continued yet, although I plan to sometime. A shame you didn't enjoy this as much, I've heard the opposite as well. Great review lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people love this book! I still really enjoyed it--it just didn't impress me as much as the first two. Thank you, Jeann!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't love this one as much as the previous two... I was feeling a bit like that at some part in the middle but then I was won back by the final part of the book and that epilogue made me ugly cry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have cried a bit at that epilogue too. I loved it so so much.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.