Friday, June 13, 2014

Review ~ The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 208
Publication date: June 3rd, 2014
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Goodreads Description: 
Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

The Truth About Alice, sadly, was not as good as I had hope it to be. There were some amazing parts, but overall, the book sort of . . . fell flat for me.

WHAT WOWED ME

There were three things in particular that made me think it was a very well written book.

1) Very well developed characters

The characters were developed so well and I got to understand why each one acted the way they did towards Alice and her reputation.

2) Distinct POVs

I loved how different each one was. I could easily tell them apart by the differences in their personalities and attitudes.

3) The subject matter

I love books on serious issues such as bullying because they tend to affect me deeper than most other books. I loved how the author dealt with the subject and how she told the story from many different POVs of Alice's peers.

WHY THE BOOK FELL FLAT FOR ME

The experience of reading it was like going along a relatively flat line in a graph. It didn't seem to . . . fluctuate enough, if that makes any sense. My emotional response was pretty much the same throughout the whole book, and I just wish there was something more. Also, I felt a little distanced from what was going on and was left less-than-impressed with the ending.

OVERALL

The Truth About Alice was a very good novel. It was well developed and well written, which is why I still recommend it. Despite where the book didn't work out for me, I can see why many readers would love reading it. If I had connected with the story more, I would probably be calling it amazing. Sadly, though, that is not the case.


My question for you:

Have you ever been disappointed in a book that you still thought was a very good one?

6 comments:

  1. This book has me interested even though im not really the comtemp fan i should be. thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good sign if you're interested in a reading something in a genre you're not a big fan of. :) You're welcome!

      Delete
  2. There have been several novels that I have felt the same way. The one thing I like about this novel is that it focuses on situations that do happen in real life. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a plus for me whenever a novel focuses on real-life situations (and when they're handled well). Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I've Never Actually seen this book or wanted to read it until you pointed it out... But after your review I might take a gander.

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.