Monday, June 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (6) ~ Book Cover Elements

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and a weekly meme where we simply make a top ten list for the week's topic.

Top Ten Book Cover Trends (or Elements)

I don't really have favorite cover trends (or elements) because each trend has good and bad designs in them, so I decided just to share a cover from each month of this year that I like and what elements I notice they have. It helped me narrow this topic down to something much easier to do.

Twelve 2014 Covers and Their Elements

January
Trend: the color red, flower, stairway

February
Elements white girl in pretty dress, sideways text, text spanning whole cover

March
Elements: handwritten pictures, simple, text spanning whole cover

April
Elements: couple in profile, summery colors

May
Elements: girl's face, text that spans whole cover, eyes
June
Elements: words/drawings behind title, sideways text, person in shadow

July
Elements: pretty dress, simple, round object on cover

August
Elements: girl with her back to cover, fire

September
Elements: photo cut off below eyes, glowing text

October
Elements: text spanning whole cover, round object on cover, nature

November
Trend: text spanning whole cover, watercolor, city skyline

December
Elements: round object on cover, maze

One trend I've noticed is book titles that span the entire cover (like on The Winner's Curse) instead of taking up only part of it (like on Trial by Fire). I really like those covers. I also really like the covers with a hand drawn feel to them (like Side Effects May Vary) or look like they're painted with watercolors (like Thousand Pieces of You).

There's also a lot of covers that seem to . . . glow. Illusion of Fate and Snow Like Ashes have that effect and it tends to draw my eye. The colors are rich and glowy and just gorgeousSuspicion also has some glow to it. 

What trends do you notice in these covers? What are your favorite cover trends/elements? Leave me a link to your TTT post so I can see. :)

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cover for The Truth About Alice. It is a very unique way to use a common silhouette and make it original and eye-catching!

    Jennifer @ A Librarian's Library--My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the covers that are quite simple, or have really great typography. I really think a cover can completely change your impressions of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can! There are a lot of books that I want to read solely because of the cover. There's also books that I'm reluctant to read because I don't like their cover very much.

      Delete
  3. I love illustrated covers, a good color scheme, and well-chosen typography. It makes me feel like the writer and cover artist cared enough about the book to make it look not only good, but original and personal.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I like it when there's something original on the cover.

      Delete
  4. I love the cover for The Truth About Alice. So much! I also really like the cover for A Thousand Pieces of You, which I hadn't seen before. The watercolor is amazing and that cover works really well. Great choices!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. Each trend has good and bad designs in them (although there are some that have more bad than good).

    I am so glad to see some of my favorite covers have made it to your list! :D

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised some are your favorites. These covers are gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Great covers :) I love the cover for Illusions of Fate but that just might be the teacup...
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously like every cover on your list. I LOVE the Suspicion cover, especially because of the way the purple looks against the grey. And A Thousand Pieces of You is one of my favorites lately, so great, I want to own it now!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.