Friday, July 4, 2014

Guilt Letters to the TBR ~ Splintered by A.G. Howard

Welcome to another Guilt Letters to the TBR post! People seemed to like the letter format last week (when I wrote to Anna from Anna and the French Kiss), so I'm going to post more of them. I had a lot of fun writing this one and I hope you enjoy it!

Note: I don't really pay attention to book descriptions, which I mention below.

(Click on the picture to go to Goodreads.)
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Splintered,

Here's what I know about you:
  1. You are gorgeous (at least on the outside).
  2. You are a retelling of Alice in Wonderland.
  3. Your creator, A.G. Howard, is pretty awesome.
  4. A lot of people LOVE you.
  5. There's a love triangle involving your heroine, a guy named Jeb, and someone named Morpheus. (I'm less sure on this one, and I may have gotten the names wrong. Sorry!)
  6. I have not read you yet . . .
  7. . . . and I feel very guilty about that.
That's really all I know about you. I can't recall what your description says about you and I can probably count the number of reviews of you that I've ever read using one hand.

Yet, for some reason, I am extremely excited to read you.

I believe my interest in reading you piqued after I saw the cover of your sequel, Unhinged. It's PURPLE (my favorite color). How could I not want to read it? Soon afterward, I noticed how excited people were getting over reading it. Now, I have to confess something: excitement for sequels can be so contagious that I usually want to start the series just so I can read the next one everyone seems to want to get their hands on. I know, that's not really fair to you and other series starters--I'm not proud of it--but excitement for sequels is one of the biggest sources of motivation for me to get started on some series.

Anyway . . . I was so excited to read you before Unhinged released that I constantly eyed you on Amazon and other sites. I refused to buy you as an ebook because you are too beautiful for the digital format. Luckily, I was able to order both you and your sequel signed (which was so cool).☺

After anxiously waiting for what seemed like forever, you were finally on my shelf. It was a Simba moment for me ad I was so excited to read you. Then I did something stupid: I read a different book. And another. And another. And, well, a lot of other books since then. I don't know why I've done this. It's crazy, right? I feel incredibly guilty about doing it and must ask you to please forgive me.

On July 18th of this year (I know--that's shockingly close for me), I will start a buddy read for you. I will finally get to know you better and I sincerely hope that you and I will become great friends. I mean, you're a beautiful looking Alice in Wonderland retelling with what appears to be a great romance and I am a bookworm that usually loves books like you. Why would we not at least like each other?

Read you soon,





I asked people on Twitter about why Splintered is worth reading. Here are some responses:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you enjoyed the letter! My next one will most likely be posted next Friday, but I need to decide on which book to write to first . . .

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one, hope you can get to it soon!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo... you are in for a wild ride! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you keep doing this "Love Letters" format. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely doing more. :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I quite enjoyed it ♥ I look forward to more.
    Btw, Splintered was terrific!
    Monique @Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Splintered does look terrific and I'm looking forward to finally reading it!

      Delete
  5. I was one of the few that didn't like this book. I couldn't adjust to the writing style. I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame that you didn't like it. :( I tend to adjust to writing styles pretty quickly, so I think I may like it more than you did.

      Delete
  6. Ohh I loved this one a lot! You are in for a crazy ride through the a twisted version of Never Land. Hope you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic feature! I'm so happy to hear you're gonna be buddy reading Splintered soon!
    It was one of my very favourite debuts last year and it's a very Burtonian creepy version of Alice that I adored!
    I cannot wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that creepy version of Alice! I think that's why I'm so excited to read this. I love creepy reads. :)

      Delete
  8. Very fun! I like that you also included people's tweets as to why you should read it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.