Saturday, July 26, 2014

Keepin' it Real Kickoff!

Welcome to Keepin' it Real! Eli from RealityLapse and I have teamed up to host this contemporary based event and I'm so excited to get it started! Without further ado, I'll answer some basic questions you may have . . . 


What is Keepin' it Real?
As the button states, it is "a celebration of contemporary YA fiction." It is a contemporary event to celebrate contemporary and promote authors/books within the genre. There will be discussion posts, giveaways, top ten and other lists, author/character interviews, and Twitter fun.☺

When is it running?
July 26th - August 10th

There will be a different author feature each day. I'll include the link to the day's post in whatever post I have up the same day.

Where is this event taking place?
Eli and I will both have blog posts relating to contemporary. I plan to post random contemporary recommendations or ask questions about the genre on Twitter throughout the event with the hashtag #KIRCreads . A big part, though, is going to be author features on the following blogs: 


Who are the authors being featured?
Jaye Robin Brown, Jennifer Mathieu, Kim Culbertson, Huntley Fitzpatrick, Kevin Emerson, Philip Siegel, Janet Gurtler, Jennifer Echols, Lauren Morrill, Lauren Oliver, Kate Hattemer, Nikki Godwin, Bethany Crandell, Paula Stokes, Courtney C. Stevens, Amy Zhang


Why is this event taking place in the first place?
Contemporary is my favorite genre! Around the time I came up with the idea of this event (all the way back in January), I just wasn't seeing as much love for the genre as I thought it deserved. Also, I've seen a lot of events with focuses on different genres or themes (pirates, dystopia, new adult, debut authors, etc), but I don't see ones that are focus on only contemporary.

How can I participate?
Visit the author features. Thank the bloggers and authors participating. Enter the giveaways. Spread the word. Stop by my blog posts. Stop by Eli's blog posts. Chat about contemporary with me or anyone else using the hashtag #KIRCreads. You can even write your own posts about contemporary--what you like about it, what you don't like about it, your favorite books in the genre, your favorite contemporary authors, etc. Have fun!

So . . . if this event starts today, does that mean the author features start today as well?
Yes! Jaye Robin Brown, the author of upcoming No Place to Fall, is featured over at Fiction Freak. Well, Amber Vaughn (the main character of Jaye's book) is. Click on the button below to be taken to Nikki's interview with the character!


Fiction Freak

EDIT: Check out the second author feature! Holly at Part of that World has interviewed Jennifer Mathieu. Check it out right here. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! What a beautiful selection! I can't wait! <3 Lately, I've been reading New Adult so I miss YA…. huhu I'll try to keep up with this event! :))

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a wonderful initiative, Kaitlin! And I'm sure that it's going to be one hell of a YA contemporary celebration. I really wish to join but my schedule wouldn't permit plus...uhm.. my favorite contemporary authors are not there.... Hahaha. I'm sorry, I'm really biased.

    But anyway, I wish you good luck, Kaitlin! I will be dropping by your blog from time to time to check on new updates. Keep up the good work! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.