Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mini Review ~ Rebel by Amy Tintera

Series: Reboot #2
Genre: YA dystopia
Pages: 352
Publication date: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 

The sequel to the action-packed Reboot is a can't-miss thrill ride, perfect for fans of James Patterson, Veronica Roth, and Marie Lu.

After coming back from death as Reboots and being trained by HARC as soldiers, Wren and Callum have finally escaped north, where they hope to find a life of freedom. But when they arrive at the Reboot Reservation, it isn't what they expected. Under the rule of a bloodthirsty leader, Micah, the Reboots are about to wage an all-out war on the humans. Although Wren's instincts are telling her to set off into the wilderness on their own and leave the battle far behind, Callum is unwilling to let his human family be murdered. When Micah commits the ultimate betrayal, the choice is made for them. But Micah has also made a fatal mistake . . . he's underestimated Wren and Callum.

The explosive finale to the Reboot duology is full of riveting action and steamy love scenes as Wren and Callum become rebels against their own kind. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

I don't have much to say about this book. It's just not one that leaves a big enough impression on me to write a longer and more detailed review. It didn't wow me, but at the same time, it didn't leave me bored. I wasn't hugely interested in the fight against HARC and the rest of the plot. It was okay for me--dystopias are tougher for me to become fully invested in.

I did really like Wren and Callum and the changes they went through. She became more human, more happy. He became much stronger and became a leader. They seemed to switch roles in a way. They developed traits that the other had in Reboot, which was very nice to see. The two were adorable together too! They were my favorite part of the book.

Around 90 percent, I got restless. I just wanted to finish the book, which is never a good sign. Also, the ending result of the conflict seemed . . . too easy. It didn't end very well for me.

Overall, Rebel was a nice sequel. I found Reboot to be a much stronger book, though. That one was a great book! While the second book didn't impress me as much, I still liked the series and recommend it to fans of dystopia.


Are you a fan of dystopia novels? What do you like about them?

6 comments:

  1. I do enjoy dystopian which is why I was surprised when I didn't like Reboot. I am so nervous going into this one. The first one was just blah to me. I think I am only going to read it to see were Wren and Callum's relationship goes.

    Amber @ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth reading to see where their relationship goes! :)

      Delete
  2. I love dystopias, I guess it's the mix of science fiction and adventure with some survivalist aspects that I love the most.
    I still haven't read Rebel, I started it but then I got overwhelmed with reading review copies and other even more awaited books... I need to get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like this one a lot more than I did, then. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you weren't crazy about this one! I just loved the added POV of Callum (seriously, he's so cute and funny and swoony) and I thought the plotting was really well done. But I'm kinda over dystopias at this point too. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dystopias are one of my least favorite genres at the moment, so I haven't enjoyed many of them this year. :(

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.