Monday, July 7, 2014

Review ~ The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary (psychological mystery)
Pages: 256
Publication date: July 8th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
You take it for granted. Waking up. Going to school, talking to your friends. Watching a show on television or reading a book or going out to lunch.

You take for granted going to sleep at night, getting up the next day, and remembering everything that happened to you before you closed your eyes.

You live and you remember.

Me, I live and I forget.

But now—now I am remembering. 

For all of her seventeen years, Molly feels like she’s missed bits and pieces of her life. Now, she’s figuring out why. Now, she’s remembering her own secrets. And in doing so, Molly uncovers the separate life she seems to have led…and the love that she can’t let go.

The Half Life of Molly Pierce is a suspenseful, evocative psychological mystery about uncovering the secrets of our pasts, facing the unknowns of our futures, and accepting our whole selves. 



Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

I didn't really "enjoy" reading this book. At least, not in the same sense as when I read most other great books. There's not much to actually enjoy--it was unique and thought-provoking and so sad. It was a very good novel that dealt with depression and small steps towards happiness in a much different way than I've seen before. This is about a girl that finds happiness, a girl who discovers her other half and becomes whole for the first time in her entire life. 


The thing that made made this story truly stand out was its writing. It was fascinating and caught Molly's thoughts well as she uncovered more and more about herself. Sometimes, the sentences were a string of thoughts, building and building on top of one another. Other times, the sentences were short--only a couple words--and left paragraph and paragraph taking up only one line each. One, or even both, usually happened when she was upset, overwhelmed, or confused. The writing really helped me sense the emotions she was feeling. I loved that.

There didn't seem to be a concrete story, plot wise. The book focused mainly on Molly's thoughts and feelings as she discovered huge parts of her life that she wasn't aware of. 

Overall, I really liked this The Half-Life of Molly Pierce. It's one that I may read again one day just so I can look deeper into it than I did this time. I haven't read a book quite like this one before, which is another reason why I enjoyed it. It was so different, but I can't really explain why without spoiling the biggest developments that occur. This book is not for everyone, but it's worth at least looking into. It has the ability to deeply affect its readers.

Have you read a book that you really liked but you didn't really "enjoy" because of its subject matter or the things that were happening in the story?

6 comments:

  1. GREAT honest review, Kaitlin! Not sure about this book because of the themes since I prefer my books more 'joyful.' :P To answer your question, yes. I read Thirteen Reasons Why and really liked the book. It was just...wow, you know? But, yeah, I can't say I LOVED it because it dealt with death and sucide.

    Lola @Seeing Night Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Thirteen Reasons Why was amazing. I loved it, but not because I enjoyed what was going on. It really got to me.

      Delete
  2. The writing, definitely set the tone to the book and it just made it feel all that more relatable, being inside her head. I loved it, maybe I wouldn't have as much if I wasn't so into psychology and hadn't researched the condition for the past two years, but even if you're not, we can all relate to some of it. On the level of searching out who you are, you know? One of my favourites of this years so far. So glad you enjoyed it, even if didn't really enjoy it.

    Ohhh, my last one was Love Letters to the Dead, I LOVED it, though you can't really say you enjoyed it because of the issues involved in it, but yeah, king of like this really, it's a hard one to deal with. I'm really into sad books lately it seems, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, it does sound interesting though, but like you said, I tend to avoid heavy subject matter like this. The last book I read on such a topic was "The Hate List". And it was amazing, honestly. But I just couldn't handle all the second hand guilt, and I really hated the way the side characters acted towards the main character. But it's exactly how it would've happened in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I read Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters. It was brutal and hard to read but I couldn't put it down. I don't know if it was the unique storyline or just the way Pepper wrote but some of the content was heart breaking.

    I haven't read this book. I'll have to put it in my serious pile for those days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. The writing was beautiful, and the pacing was superb. My favorite books tend to be ones that don't always have happy endings. I think books like this are more realistic, and I absolutely loved it.

    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.