Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review ~ On the Fence by Kasie West

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 320
Publication date: July 1st, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door…

Charlie Reynolds can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at a chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world. To cope with the stress of her new reality, Charlie takes to spending nights chatting with her neighbor Braden through the fence between their yards. As she grows to depend on their nightly Fence Chats, she realizes she's got a bigger problem than speeding tickets-she's falling for Braden. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

Fun, original, and endearing, On the Fence is a romantic comedy about finding yourself and finding love where you least expect. 

Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review. 

On the Fence was so sweet! I went into with the intention to only read part of it that day because I had plans to buddy read another book. Well, I started reading. Then I kept reading. Whenever I thought it was time to stop for the day, I just thought, "one more chapter." Eventually, I ran out of chapters to read. This book just pulled me into it and didn't let go until I reached its end. Any book that can do that is a great one for me.

One of my favorite parts was the family dynamics. I loved watching how Charlie interacted with her brothers and her dad. They were such a good family--a very strong one.

I loved watching Charlie grow. She tried new things and learned a lot about herself. It got rough many times, but she pulled through. She may have felt weak in many moments, but she was always a strong character.

loved the romance! It was a long time before anything actually happened between the two characters, but feelings were definitely there. The two had a great connection from the very beginning.

I loved the fence chats. They were this contemporary's own little unique twist--the book's inside joke, in a way.

I loved how this novel was light, but had a tinge of sadness. Kasie West dealt with the sadness so well.

I loved the focuses and themes. Friendship. Family. Staying true to oneself. I particularly liked how Charlie's story demonstrated that being interested in sports or wearing little to no makeup doesn't mean you're a less attractive girl.

Overall, On the Fence was an enjoyable read! It was a sweet contemporary romance that fans of the genre would love reading.



Have you read any of Kasie West's books? 
What was the last great contemporary romance you read? 

12 comments:

  1. Awwww, I read another book from Kasie West, and she is great in writing! I can't wait to read this one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to read her others. :)

      Delete
  2. This was such a fantastic read, I really loved it as well! Charlie was a great character and I liked how she ended up learning a lesson in the end, to be true to yourself. The fence chats and romance were adorable too - as well as the awesome family aspect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one, and have yet to read other Kasie West books. But I heard this one is very endearing and that the romance was even more so! I like slow and steady love myself, that makes it even more believable, and who can resist fencing inside jokes? Mehehehe ;)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Slow and steady makes a romance so believable. :)

      Delete
  4. I still haven't read this one, but I've read (and loved!) all the previous Kasie West books, so I really need to read this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love this one too. :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVED this, especially because of the family dynamics, it was just <3 that's how a real family acts, okay, not every one but I mean, not every family's tragic and broken like most YA portrays it, you know/? And even though with what happened, it just proves that sometimes it can break a family, but it can also pull a family together. And the romance, ahhhhh, so damn cute. The only complaint I have on that part is MORE PLEASE, haha.

    Have to say, this was my last great contemporary romance- and my first Kasie West, so definitely a good introduction to her writing style. Now I'm buying the rest of hers as soon as I can because damn. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been nice if there was more romance. :D

      Delete
  6. So glad you liked it!!! I have adored every one of Kasie novels. I am absolutely dying to get my hands on this one. I've been needing to read a contemporary novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww sounds awesome! I really need to get this soon then! :D
    —C

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.