Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review ~ Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch


Series: Perfected (?) #1 
Genre: YA dystopia
Pages: 304
Publication date: July 1st, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Goodreads Description: 
Perfection comes at a price.

As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.

Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows…and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating.

But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving…and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death.

For fans of Keira Cass’s Selection series and Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, and a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was so excited to read this one . . . and I'm glad to say that I enjoyed it. It just worked for me. 

The romance was one of my favorite parts (if you've read a lot of my reviews, you may know that I pay a lot of attention to romance in a book). I liked the idea of Ella and Penn as a couple even before they spoke to each other for the first time. I just knew I would love them together. Their relationship was a large focus of the story, which I didn't mind!

I loved Ella's character. She was bred to be a perfect "pet"--a status symbol for a rich family in the dystopia world she lived in. Though she was quite naive, I found that it important to the story for her to have been so. It left a lot of room for her to grow. In this book, she started seeing herself as human. Not a pet, not property, but instead someone who should have freedom. She didn't go through huge changes, but I expect those to take place more in the sequel considering where the book left off (which was why I liked the ending).

I really liked Ella's fascination with her new surroundings as she adjusted to the house she was in. It made the descriptions nice to read. I also liked how so many ugly things were wrapped in an illusion of perfection and status.

The concept of the story was an interesting one, but I wished there was more background. There were politics involved with the pets and I would've liked to find out more about why the pets were part of society and how they came to be. However, since the book was told in Ella's POV and she didn't much about politics at all (I doubt that was something someone like her was supposed to know seeing as how she wasn't even supposed to know how toread), I could understand why there wasn't as much background as I would've liked. Also, I have a feeling that many things will be explained in the sequel (again, I expect this because of where this book left off at). 

Overall, I really enjoyed Perfected. It was a very good book for me, as I had hoped it would be.


One more thing: that cover represents the inside of the book really well.

8 comments:

  1. Great review Kaitlin! Your praise for this novel makes me even more excited to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an interesting dystopian, but the whole lack of world building as justified as it may seem would end up irking me. I think I'll wait till the sequel comes out to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feel it's something that irks a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. This book has really caught my eye... the premise is just so chilling and creepy, so naturally I really want to read it. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way when this book first caught my eye. :D Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I also had a problem with the lack of background information. I can understand that Ella wouldn't know, but I think there should have been more about it. And this book didn't really evoke any strong emotions in me (except anger, because these girls are bred like dogs, and I hate it). But overall, I liked the story and hope there is a sequel. I mean, there really should be one..

    Great review, Kaitlin! Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author mentioned a sequel on Twitter, so yes, there's going to be one. :) Thank you!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.