Friday, July 4, 2014

Review ~ Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 449
Publication date: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Goodreads description:

The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough.Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?


Go Skinny Dipping? Um... 
Source: purchased

The perfect summer read--everything about Since You've Been Gone makes it perfect for summer. First of all, there's the cover and the fact that it's set in summer, but most importantly, this book is a super fun, mostly light, and romantic. It has a list of tasks for Emily to complete and a great group of people she becomes friends with. There are playlists, sweet inside jokes, funny and quotable moments, and just the right amount of feels. There is a very strange family, an amazing love interest, his funny best friend, a pizza girl, a great (but absent) best friend, and a very relatable heroine. It is the best friendship book I've read in a long time. 

What else do you need in a summer read?

I really connected to Emily because I could relate to her quite a bit. I felt her emotions, especially in the moments when she felt absolutely alone. Surprisingly, those parts made me cry. There were two chapters where it was just so sad. I wasn't expecting that!

I loved Frank the moment he was introduced into the story. He was such a good friend, love interest, and character in general. His quirks made him so likable! He was amazing.

The romance was so sweet! However, friendship was the bigger focus. I loved how friendship was developed before romance came into the story (there were hints of it before that point, but just that--hints). Frank and Emily became very good friends and that just made their romance all the more stronger.

loved the structure. Each chapter focused on one task of the list, which just felt nice to read. Each task got its own spotlight, which made completing them more important. There were also flashbacks throughout the story, which really helped me get to know Sloane. I didn't always like her because I was mad at her for just leaving without a word, but I ended up thinking she was an awesome character.

Overall, I loved Since You've Been Gone. It was a very fun read. There's really not much more to say that this: go read this book!


What books are perfect summer reads? Recommend some to me!

7 comments:

  1. Great Review! This book is definitely on my TBR, I can't wait to read it and your review makes me want to get to it even faster :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to here that. :) You should definitely bump it up on your TBR!

      Delete
  2. I still need to get this one cause from your review and others I've read, it's not only a perfect summer read but the kind of contemporary I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to get this! I wouldn't be surprised at all if you loved this one. :)

      Delete
  3. great review. My copy arrived a couple days ago and I'm so excited to start reading it. It's definitely going to be the next book I pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review! I have this book and I've never got into it, maybe this summer - your right it does look like a summery read!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.